Chapter 26: Sports Festival Start

The month before the Sports Festival flew by for Izuku and his friends, too long and too short. Probably because they were constantly busy, especially Izuku.

He had been training with Hitoshi and Mei more than usual since both wanted to pick up some extra training and skills (He was so looking forward to Mei throwing someone over her shoulder) which meant Izuku spent less time training himself.

Which was fine. He still had his nightly patrols for training and no one would find out that he had spent a few hours doing drills on rooftops during less busy nights. Eraserhead had almost caught him once. Thank goodness for his new earbud gear let him hear further and better (also block noise and mental quirks).

Speaking of, he had also been spending a lot of his time building gear for both himself as Megumi Izuku and Rabbit. Nothing huge for the latter besides the usual replenishing of smoke and glitter bombs through.

So far, he had everything he should need, even if it didn't seem like much to others.

He was allowed as much gear as they would approve, and he decided to abuse that with small or less flashy items like his Kevlar undershirt, earbuds he also used as Rabbit, and his steel-toed shoes (still bright red and looking like normal shoes) among other things.

But on top of that, he had a few weapons.

His boa-staff was a clear need, plus it wasn't that uncommon a weapon, as well as a few emergency smoke bombs. Sadly, glitter was a dead giveaway that would scream, "Hey look at me, just like that vigilante in every annoying way."

So unfortunately, he didn't add those.

Neither did he add knives or a gun. He didn't even try to ask, even though both had been approved by Nezu for his hero costume that he submitted a week ago. (because he would be in the hero course after th- don't think about)

Well... he did have a very small switch blade that was slightly dulled just in case he needed to cut free of something like a quirk or his own clothes, but he didn't plan to use it for combat. Nezu only agreed after said explanation and promise.

He did make a metal alloy scarf similar to Eraserhead's, only this one wrapped around both his arms, but he decided against using it for the festival. Too many people might think him and the hero are connected and he didn't want Aizawa breathing down his neck at how he got good at it so quickly. After all, he had listened to the hero grumble about how long it took him to learn it more than once by now.

Izuku had a few other items that he hoped not to use, things Mei herself would be using anyways. Her jetpack was much stronger than the small boosts from his shoes. And Mei already had hover-boots as well, so yeah.

Most of the showy gear was left to Mei while Izuku only had a few as backup. If he was going to prove that quirkless wasn't useless or defenseless, he needed to not rely on super powerful support gear. No need to give people another reason to doubt him.

Izuku smiled as he packed the rest of his things for tomorrow, support gear, notebooks, and some snacks. For the first time, he was making a rational decision, sleeping.

Over the past month, sleep was... fleeting, he was busy, ok? He totally wasn't sleeping now because Aizawa had glared at him that morning in the café for looking dead on his feet the day before the festival. Nor was it because Yui joined in and gave him some melatonin.

For the first time in a while, Izuku allowed himself to rest, and it wasn't until the next morning, as he slowly awake for the first time in a while, that he realized how much he missed sleep.