Chapter 18: Acceptance

After Izuku's exam was over, he had managed to become close with Mei and they already had several ideas for new inventions/babies as she called them. She had asked about his voice modifier and he happily explained how it worked along with Hitoshi and his quirk to an extent. He could tell she wasn't one to judge a quirk, especially after earlier.

~ ~ ~

"That's such an amazing baby! I'm Hatsume Mei, future head of Hatsume Industries!"

Izuku sighed mentally when he saw a few student avoid them before smiling at his soon to be friend. He had approached her in hopes of speaking to her, but Hatsume beat him to it for which he was grateful. Hatsume was certainly enthusiastic and full of energy.

"Megumi Izuku, and thanks, Hatsume-san! It's probably one of my best works so far."

She playfully slapped his arm and laughed. "Just call me Mei."

"Alright Mei-chan, then please call me Izuku."

"Sounds good Izu-kun."

They shared matching grins before breaking out into laughter. Honestly, Izuku was loving her energy, it matched his own hidden gremlin that was usually reserved for vigilante work.

"The detail work on your voice baby is impressive as hell", Mei smirked as she looked at his invention on the stage alongside the othets. He wondered how she could tell but then immediately noticed her eyes dilating almost like a camera...

"Is that your quirk?" She turned slightly to look at him so he hastily continued. "Your eyes were dilating like a camera lens and since you were just looking at it and never saw the gear up close earlier...I'm guessing you can perhaps change how close things look? Like zooming in or out of them?"

Mei smiled ferally at him before basically shouting, "Spot on! Impressive Izu-kun! What about you? Do you have an an intelligence quirk? Or perhaps another mental one like analysis?"

'Oh boy'. Izuku swallowed his reflex nerves as he replied as casually as he could, "Oh actually, I don't, mental or otherwise. I'm quirkless."

They both froze for a moment, one in slight fear and the other with gears turning. The silence was broken by a starry-eyed Mei. "That's amazing Izu-kun! I remember you even finished your written test super early and you did such great work on your baby, I knew you were smart but it's amazing that you're so far ahead without a quirk's help. Speaking of, how do you think..."

He chucked lightly while she rambled off about her own 'babies', asking him for his opinions and Izuku couldn't stop his smiling even as his cheeks hurt.

~ ~ ~

So yeah, no way she would hate Hitoshi for his quirk- rather, she was ecstatic about the possibilities and wanted to know more.

Izuku glanced up at movement from down the hall to see a group of heroics examines walk towards the front school door. Amongst the group was a familiar head of fluffy lilac hair.

"Hitoshi!" Izuku called and waved, "over here!"

He watched in amusement as the tired boy pushed his way through the crowd with an annoyed 'done with life' look. To his pleasant surprise, Hitoshi ad Mei got along immediately. Yes, the insomniac was overwhelmed at first by her onslaught of questions and introductions. (He would never forget the blush and bewilderment on his friend's face when Mei talked about 'making babies together')

After confirming that they were both free for the afternoon, Izuku spoke up, "would you guys like to come to the café I work I work at? I know I could use a coffee and both of you look like you need it too."