Chapter 16: Arriving at UA

Izuku's mind was buzzing while he walked, going over his plans several times.

All of his needed items were stuffed into his army-style backpack. His blueprints, his old hacking laptop, stationary notebooks and some pens and pencils. He usually wrote down notes during assembly and tests for his inventions, it helped him to think through the process when his brain started to go a million miles an hour. He also knew that sometimes inspiration struck him and he needed to write it down asap or he might forget it, so he needed some extra books to jot things down.

The backpack felt heavier than It had that morning, but he shrugged it off as nerves once more and continued alongside the hero until they reached the gates with two huge letters fixated on the top. 'UA'.

Izuku couldn't help but hesitate, it was his younger self's dream school and while he was still excited to be here, he was getting anxious. He was here and this was real.

~ ~ ~

(Aizawa POV)

He expecting it to be awkward to walk with the problem child, ignoring the fact that he was the one who invited him, but it was a pleasant surprise when a comfortable silence fell over them.

The problem child was strangely silent, not even asking about UA or Aizawa's hero work like he usually did. He was probably nervous, though with his skills he shouldn't be.

Megumi Izuku had always puzzled the hero until a few weeks ago when Aizawa learned he was quirkless. The kid had the air about him that he could handle himself and never looked worried often. But at the same time, he had been jumpy and somewhat closed off. A contradiction. 

Aizawa wasn't one to pry into other people's lives, so he respected that the kid never told him about his quirk, or lack-thereof, before. And now everything made sense.

The hero felt a small grip in his chest when the kid told their family that he was quirkless. He looked like he was expecting them to turn on him or even get violent which didn't paint a pretty picture. It troubled the hero.

Since then, Aizawa has attempted to talk with the kid more but all he know is that the kid is safe at home (normally he wouldn't believe it that easily, but the kid was basically never injured or even moved stiffly at work) and that the kid had a rough time at school until he went online a few years back. He could only guess what the kid had to experience.

It was enough to curb Aizawa's worry. For now.

All this thinking about Izuku had made Aizawa realize just how long he has known the kid. It had been what? 2 years now? Much longer than the hero thought it had been and yet shorter at the same time.

It was strange how this kid became a part of his daily routine every morning after patrol, it feels like he has known the kid for much longer than he had.

Aizawa mentally shook his head and glanced over at the boy beside him. His curly black hair bounced lightly and his eyes shone with excitement, a soft smile on his lips.

He looked a lot more like a little kid now and Aizawa dipped his head to hide his own small smile as he looked forward again.

'Problem child'

~ ~ ~

(Still Aizawa POV)

After Aizawa walked though the gates, he slowed down and looked back at the kid who had paused at the archway. He called out to the problem child and watched him shake off what the hero assumed was nerves. The huge gate could be intimidating for people who had never seen it before.