Chapter 2: A Night of Work

It was a Monday, so Izuku left the café at 2 pm and headed back home. He really wished he was old enough to ride his motorcycle that he had found and fixed up a few months ago, but apparently a 12-year-old kid can't get a license for one even though he can pass the test easily. He sometimes rides it at night when he wants to patrol a further away district or when he has a holiday off of work and can ride it in the morning, but even then, he has to be careful not to get pulled over and questioned. It wasn't too far of a walk home from work, so he didn't mind, but his cabin was hidden just inside of a nearby forest, and he couldn't make a trail leading to his home which meant a walk through the grass. Usually it was solid, but rainy seasons could get muddy and cleaning his shoes every time he got home or out of the forest was not fun.

Sighing, Izuku opened his door and made a beeline to his bedroom. He didn't sleep for 2 days and was starting to feel it despite the coffee in his system fighting it off. Even the holy liquid had its limits apparently. Sighing, he closed his eyes after making sure his alarm was set, and he fell into a dreamless sleep.

~ ~ ~

*beep* *beep* *be-*

Izuku quickly turned off his alarm and pulled himself up, stretching. A few satisfying pops in his back later, and he was ready for his night to begin. It was 8pm, and Izuku couldn't go out as Rabbit yet, it was too early. Instead, he spent this time either hacking or working on his support gear. His gear was doing fine so hacking it was.

There were a ton of corrupt companies and criminal activity for him to look into. He sometimes dealt with smaller cases himself as Rabbit, but larger groups and companies require the police and more personnel. Before he knew it, the clock read that it was just past 10 pm and Izuku could head out for his nightly patrol.

In those 2 hours, he had gathered enough evidence to bring down a medium insurance company as well as some analysis's of several criminals/villains that had shown up recently. Izuku quickly copied everything to a cheap flash drive and got geared up.

His costume was complex and completely made by himself, which made he secretly proud every time he put it on. He wore thick dark gray leggings with straps on his thighs for some knives and his rubber bullet gun. For shoes, he had long black socks that went over his knees, connecting to the Kevlar sewn into his legging at the knees. Over that, he had sturdy and modified combat boots where he had added a lot of shock absorption to the bottom and a hidden knife that would poke out of the front and back with two taps of a button on his gloves. His top consisted of a thin black athletic turtleneck worn under a dark, faded red t-shirt that had a small logo of an R drawn on by Izuku(his vigilante logo) with holsters and straps on his arms/shoulders as well as a utility belt on his waist for flash bombs, first aid, and the like. Thick black gloves went halfway up his forearm, his index and middle finger uncovered while the other 3 are fully covered in the heavy material. On top of all that was a dark green-black jacket with a unique bunny-eared hood. They didn't stand up, but rather flopped to the side of his head, he had sewn them on himself.

His mask was his favorite part to make, it consisted of two main elements. The first piece was a simple black mask that went over his nose and mouth, it had a built-in gas filter as well as a small voice distorter. (the mask is just black with a small bunny nose painted on) His other piece was a red tinted visor that attached to his hood so that neither could be taken off very easily, especially not in a fight or chase, it required a small pattern type of passcode to remove. He had recently upgraded his visor which now allowed him to scroll through information and click a 'switch' connected to the mask over his mouth so he could mumble notes that were recorded for later without anyone on the outside hearing him.

He has a few weapons, his main one being a bo-staff that can spilt into 2 pieces. He wears it on his back in 2 separate pieces and usually fights with one in both his hands separately depending on the opponent. He also uses knives and a gun with rubber bullets. The knives were originally for insurance so that he could still fight if he lost his bo-staff or if he ended up corned as well as to cut rope or other materials in general. The gun was for the similar reason that if he couldn't get in close for the fight or if they tried to run, he could hit the opponent from a distance.

He mainly uses flash and smoke bombs in larger fights or when he needs to regroup. Glitter bombs are reserved for the police and heroes unless he finds himself in trouble with no other choice, but that only happened once. Villain's and criminals didn't deserve his precious glitter.

Izuku checked himself over once more before grabbing the flash drive of information and heading out for the night. He headed to the police station and slipped into the one and only Detective Tsukauchi's office. It was empty, so Izuku just placed it down on the desk with a sticky note attached to it with his signature. Satisfied, Rabbit set out to stop some crime.

~ ~ ~

"Kid, I need you to answer me, why?"

"..."

"What was that?"

"...I didn't cry, I-... I didn't care"

"Kid..."

Izuku was normally able to keep himself out of his thoughts, but after seeing Eraserhead the other morning, memories began to resurface involuntarily. The night Eraser saved Izuku wasn't one he was too keen on remembering.

With a sigh, he laid his back on the rooftop, legs swinging over the edge of the 15-story building. Was it dangerous? Yes. Did he care? Not really. Being up high was strangely relaxing and Izuku could easily look down at the city below.

But tonight, he just wasn't in the in the right mind. And that could be dangerous. Both for himself and anyone he was trying to save, but mainly for himself. He had already fought off several criminals, coming out with way too many wounds for the level of his opponents. Sure, he had defeated and captured them, but he wasn't as careful or aware as usual. And that could end up with him gravely injured.

Just an hour ago, he had let a guy shallowly stab him in the leg just because he didn't feel like fighting him any longer. In fact, he moved towards the knife just to knock the guy out quicker even though he could have easily done so with a few extra moves. Luckily, no stitches were needed, it was a somewhat dull and short blade, plus the guy wasn't actually expecting to land a hit, so he had dropped the handle immediately.

Sighing once more, he checked the time. 2:30 am. He decided to head home and shower before he went to work at the cafe. 'Maybe Eraser will come back today as well' he thought. Even though he hated the memories that came with the hero, Eraser himself was the man Izuku trusted and looked up to, a true hero unlike some golden bitch and flaming trashcan.

Izuku was not disappointed, the underground hero came in soon after opening, asking for his coffee and another muffin. With a bright smile, Izuku served the hero who gave a grateful look. While it may be dumb to get along with a pro hero, especially one he would run into as Rabbit, Izuku couldn't help it. Eraser didn't recognize him after all these years, but that was fine with Izuku. He could silently pay back the man's kindness with loads of coffee and, unexpectedly, pastries.