Chapter 20: Proposition/Combat Exercise

Izuku fidgeted his hand nervously as he walked thought the empty halls of UA. Power Loader had given Izuku a message that came straight from Nezu to meet in his office after school. He stalled for a bit on accident as he got consumed in his work and jumped at the last bell. He had to spend an extra five minutes at his desk packing and cleaning up his things.

'What does he want? He couldn't have figured out that I'm Rabbit, there is no reason for him to make the connection. The public doesn't even know that Rabbit makes his own gear, right? So Nezu couldn't have connected it through my work. Maybe what Aizawa said about me? That man almost never hands out praise but he did to me and maybe he did in front of the rat so maybe-'

His paranoid, mental ranting was cut off when he stopped in front of the two large doors that might hold his fate.

'Let's just do this'. Izuku took a deep breath before knocking on the door. A cheerful "come in" sounded behind so he pushed open the doors and headed inside, his face carefully blank.

He was quickly taken aback when he saw Nezu in his chair with Aizawa standing in front of the desk to the side. Even though he did his best to act natural, he couldn't help a bit of his buzzing nerves peeking through.

"Please, take a seat." Izuku nodded to the chimera before carefully sitting down in the chair facing the two heroes.

"Now you must be wondering what I called you here for?"

He nodded slowly, eyeing the principal and hobo-hero carefully. It took most of his effort to keep his muscles somewhat relaxed instead of taut and ready for him to bolt.

"It's quite simple you see, Aizawa here vouched for your skills himself and as of last afternoon, a spot has opened in the hero course."

Izuku felt himself tense while his mind whirled.

"On top of this, you have completed high school curriculum, so it is pointless for you to take any of the base subjects that aren't specific to our specialized courses."

There was a pause, and Izuku found himself staring right into Nezu's gleaming black eyes.

"Megumi Izuku, I would like to offer you dual enrollment in the support and hero course. You would take hero classes in the morning and support after lunch. What do you say?"

Oh, wow ok, wait he needed a moment. Last night he finally made the decision to join the hero course via the sports festival either this year or the next, but this opportunity? It was the best outcome he could really ask for. He wouldn't have to give up his support classes while still being able to get his hero license. But this was all a bit sudden and it threw him off for a moment. 

His mind was still scrambling a bit when he finally decided on his answer. "I... I accept, but I would like to request a... delay if possible. Would it be possible to join the hero course after the sports festival?"

Nezu hummed in thought. "Yes, it isn't like you have to join immediately, but may I ask as to why?"

Izuku could see that Aizawa was also looking at him for an answer. "Um well, attending UA at all is a big change for me and I also don't want to de questioned about my joining. If I do well in the Sports Festival, then it can be said that I was offered a spot from that. Plus I can use my gear during the festival as a support student whereas hero students cannot bring anything."

He hoped that they believed him, after all it was half the truth. The sports fesitval was true, and change was something he adapted to easily but that didn't mean he liked it. Having to change his work schedule and interacting with new people all day (and not in his 'customer service' persona) was tiring. But there was also the fact that he wasn't ready to see Bakugo or All Might so soon. He would eventually, he knew that, but he was scared to see the two. Has his childhood friend changed at all? Would the number one hero accept him as a quirkless hero? It scared him.