Chapter 10: Taking Action

A/N: Toshi shall be saved

~ ~ ~

Izuku splashed cold water on his face before looking in his mirror. His eyebags were darker than they were a few weeks ago and his brow was more furrowed, as if constantly stressed. Not to mention his pale skin dotted with freckles seemed to somehow become more pale over the last few days or restless nights.

Nightmares had prevented Izuku from getting more than a few hours when he did sleep. Sure, he was used to sleeping only four to five times a week on average, but he always got more than 5 hours. These days, he was lucky to get 3 in one sitting, with worse nights ending up with only a few minutes.

Apparently, he was being obvious in the way that something was wrong. Hitoshi had asked him if he was alright and was constantly sending him concerned glancing during training. Eraserhead had been worse. He had already asked Rabbit if something was troubling him when he had stumbled or slipped up more than once.

To make it worse, Eraserhead had asked Izuku the barista if he was doing alright when he came in a few mornings later. Izuku knew it was too much of a coincidence that both Izuku and Rabbit weren't themselves after years with the hero on both sides.

So here Izuku was, staring himself down in the mirror as he attempted to force himself to get his life together.

"You are going to stop being a bitch and pull yourself together", he threatened his reflection.

Sushi meowed from his feet and Izuku turned to looked down at her while she just tilted her head. He could almost hear her telling him 'about time'.

With a chuckle he shook his head. "I know, I know. I need to figure out what to do now."

With a satisfied chirp, the monotone-colored cat walked away out of the bathroom and Izuku could hear her drinking some water in the other room.

He needed to just do and not think right now, there was plenty of thinking time these past weeks. Having his new resolve, he sat down at his desk and opened his computer.

First things first, he needed to help Hitoshi. Even if he accidently slipped up with how personal the case was to him, he could probably bluff that he was in a very similar spot or even give the half truth that he was thinking about his own past while he investigated. Either way was fine, but he needed to help his friend.

With that declaration to himself, he began to gather evidence. His fly-bot was able to record some things and he had even managed to get a few statements from neighbors who luckily weren't dumb and mentioned hearing yelling and how the 'poor boy' always came home looking scared while leaving with a sigh of relief.

The information was compiled but Izuku still needed to send it to the hero and detective. Instead, he stalled for a bit by busying himself with other work in order to make up for his last few nights of shorter, clumsy patrols. He glanced at his clock and saw it was past time for him to head out as Rabbit and decided he should at least try.

After his work on Hitoshi's and other cases, he was feeling lighter, so going out tonight shouldn't hurt.

Izuku dressed quickly before petting a sleepy Sushi goodbye. She purred in response and watched him leave.

'Alright, I suppose I should go check on Hitoshi real quick. He is probably fine and sleeping, but I might as well.'

Hitoshi would probably be fine and hopefully asleep, Izuku knew he was just being paranoid. Even so, he ended up across from the house, hidden in the shadows. He quickly began to doubt himself. He didn't need to come here, Hitoshi was most likely fine.