Chapter 3: First Real Friend

A/N: Just want to say this right now, this is not a ship! Shinso and Izuku are just friends in this story.

~ ~ ~

A year quickly passed by, Izuku had just turned 13 a little over a month ago. At this point, he didn't celebrate, all that the day meant to him now was another year alive. Unfortunately, Yui had overheard him mention it and begged him to make a cake that he ended up taking home afterwards. Surprisingly, Eraserhead took a piece to go when offered, though Izuku knew it was probably for his husband, President Mic, who apparently loves sweets. Don't get him wrong, Izuku did love sweets, but he also was a vigilante who needed to keep fit and healthy so he tried to lay off desserts and candies when he could.

Today though, was an ordinary day, besides the appearance of a certain lilac-haired boy. He has been showing up on Saturdays around 9 am for the past 2 weeks, making this his third visit. Izuku hadn't gotten a name yet and had been mentally calling him "Minizawa" because he reminded Izuku of his favorite sleep-deprived hero. The deep eye bags and bored, monotone voice was so similar that Izuku had almost looked up the hero and kid's records to see if they were related. He restrained himself, but it was strange.

'Minizawa' walked up and ordered his usual black coffee and a chocolate chip muffin. 'Aizawa gets the same things, except the muffin is blueberry'. It was surreal to say the least. Izuku happily began the kid's coffee and plated the muffin before bringing it out.

"Here you are!"

'Minizawa' nodded in response. He only ever talked when making an order, but Izuku was determined to get a name today. There were only two other customers who were college students that came here often to work on their laptops, so Izuku could take a short break.

"My name is Megumi Izuku! I've seen you here a few times now, so I thought I'd introduce myself."

The kid (can he call him a kid even though he is taller than Izuku?) simply looked up at him with slight shock and weariness. Izuku just kept his warm smile on and waited for a reply. 'Minizawa' shifted in his seat before looking down at his hands.

"...Shinso Hitoshi"

"Nice to meet you Shinso-kun, I was wondering how old you were since you seem about my age." Damn his social awkwardness, how do people make conversations.

"um... I'm 13" Izuku smiled

"Wow, I'm 13 too! I totally thought you were older than me!"

The one-sided conversation continued. With Shinso gradually making more comments and asking Izuku a few questions. In the end, he got Shinso to chuckle at some stupid insomniac jokes before another customer came in and he had to get back to work. When Shinso left, Izuku called out a goodbye which got him and small wave from the 'Minizawa' Shinso. Despite the lack of conversation from Shinso's side, Izuku had been happy when the boy started to reply more near the end.

~ ~ ~

A few weeks passed by and Shinso was getting more talkative. So far Izuku knew a fair amount about the boy. He was an insomniac who wants to become a hero and doesn't have many friends, probably related to his quirk. Oh, and he loves cats and coffee, the most important facts. Izuku never asked about his quirk since he always stiffened or shuffled nervously when something similar was brought up. Izuku had held off researching the boy since he wanted to make friends with Shinso himself, plus he had no reason to, the kid wasn't a threat as far as he could tell. Seeing that he fought 'threats' every night, he was confident that Shinso was not one.

Izuku was now waiting in excitement for his new friend(?) to come in once more. It was 8:50 and Saturday, so he would definitely arrive soon. While wiping down a table at the front of the shop, he looked out the glass and saw Shinso walking while on his phone just down the street, making Izuku smile.