21

KENDALL
THE NEXT DAY

I'm holding my phone to my ear as I enter the house. My purse is hanging off my shoulder, an iced coffee and a shopping bag in the other.

I'm on the phone with Mallory, just catching up, it's been a few days since we've been able to chat. Her internship has been taking up a lot of her time the last week or so as they're on a deadline.

"I don't know but it's been fun so far," I smile as I walk down the hallway.

"But still no titles?" Mallory asks from the other end.

"Nope, but I'm okay with that. I've only got a couple more weeks out here so maybe it's just a few fun weeks in lala land," I say as I push open the door to my room.

"Okay but Ken-"

I cut her off, "Oh my gosh."

There's a bundle of pink, purple and white flowers laying on the center of my bed, which is made now and I definitely didn't make it before I left this morning. There's also a folded piece of paper sitting next to the flowers.

"What?" Mallory asks curiously.

"I'm not sure," I make my way over to the bed, setting my coffee on the bedside table and dropping my bags on the floor.

"Well at least tell me why you oh my god'd!!" Mallory whines.

"There's flowers and a note on my bed, and my bed is made," I sit down on the edge of the bed and pick up the flowers. I lift them to my nose, taking in their light floral smell. I smile down at them. They can only be from one person, because there's only one other person here right now.

"You made your bed?" She sounds extremely shocked.

"C'mon, of course I didn't," I scoff, setting the flowers aside. I've always thought making your bed every single morning was crazy, like I'm just gonna get in it again and mess it up.

"What does the note say?"

"I'm opening it!" I snap at her as I open the card.

I start to read the note to myself first.

"Oh my gosh," I smile, eyes scanning over the messy hand writing again.

"What! Tell me!" Mallory groans, almost begging.

"Uhm it says," I can't stop smiling, "I made reservations at eight, wear something fancy and meet me in the living room at seven-thirty. He signed it JD."

"Oh my gosh!" Mallory squeals so loud I have to pull the phone away from my ear.

"I'll call you back, I'm gonna go see if he's home," I say setting the card down. I went to a lunch event for a beauty brand today and they sent a car for me, so I didn't go through the garage.

"No leave me on the phone," Mallory whines, "I need some excitement in my life."

The whole reason she had called me in the first place was because she felt like all she was doing was going to work, coming home sketching, eating, sleeping and then repeating the same routine the next day.

"Mal, I love you but no. Let's go out this weekend. I'll call Trev and see if he can get us on a list for a party or something!" I smile as I stand up.

"Fine," she sighs, "You better call me with an update."

"Don't worry I'll need help picking out an outfit anyway," I smile knowing that will make her feel better.

"Ooo I'll start planning right now."

"Good, I'll call back soon."

I hang up the phone and walk the five steps down the hall to Jamie's door. I faintly hear music, telling me he's home, but I knock anyway.