32

KENDALL

It's been a week of Jamie trying to prove me that this long distance thing is actually doable. And it's kinda working...

We text all the time, and try to talk on the phone at least once a day. He's constantly sending me random videos he finds on instagram. We play imessage games and chirp at each other over text.

There's only been a couple of days where we haven't been able to talk a ton because of our contradicting schedules. But I'm actually starting to think I could do this long distance thing.

But today I'm making the dreaded call to Davey. We've been texting a bit but not as much as Jamie and I. I feel like I owe him an explanation, and I can't just ghost him. It's Davey! We've been friends since the second grade, I don't wanna loose him but I need to make sure we're on the same page so I don't hurt him more then I probably already have.

"Hey," I answer when he picks up the phone.

"Hey! How are you?" He asks. I can hear the city sounds in the background, there's car horns, people talking and construction.

"I'm good, are you free to talk for a sec?" I ask as I pace the length of the basement.

"Yeah, what's up?" He still sounds so causal. I hate this, I don't want hurt him.

"Uhm so I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page. Because we've been hanging out and texting a lot and I don't want to give you the wrong idea."

"Oh," he says it like he knows exactly what I mean.

"I'm so sorry Davey, I wanna stay friends but I totally understand if you need sometime."

"Uhm yeah, I'll need a minute but I wanna stay friends too," he pauses and my heart sinks to my toes.

"I'm so sorry," I repeat because I don't know what else to say. I feel like I just killed a puppy.

"I promise it's not you," I try to explain, "There's just someone else and I really think I wanna see things through with him."

"It's okay, Ken," he sounds sincere, "Thank you for being honest with me," then his tone turns playful, "So who's this other guy?"

I shake my head with quiet laughter, "I'm not telling you."

"Is it Jamie?"

What the fuck. How the hell did he just guess that?

"What?" I freeze in the middle of the basement, trying to laugh it off.

"It is," he still has this light, playful tone, the same one he used to use when he'd tease me about Connor in high school.

I sigh, "You can't tell any one."

"My lips are sealed, Kenny."

"Thank you," I smile, "How did you know?"

"The night of the game, you got all tense when we ran into him, and I saw the way he looked at you," Davey explains.

"What?" I question, still pacing the basement floor.

"I don't know how to describe it, but it was like you were the only person in that hallway, like he was in awe of you just standing there."

I sit down on the arm of the couch. I can't think of anything to say.

"I think he's a good one, Ken," Davey says when I don't say anything, "And ya know what, I get it. Pro hockey player or film major? I'd also pick the hockey player," he chuckles.

I laugh too, "Thank you for being so understanding."

"Ken, we've been through way crazier things together, give me like two days and I'll be fine."