36

KENDALL

I'm on the train home, and I still haven't heard from Trevor. I did text him a few more times before I got on the train and he said he'd call soon but hasn't yet.

Honestly, I'm tempted to get on a plane and just fly to California. I need to know if Jamie's okay.

My phone buzzes in my hand. I look down at it and it's a text from Mallory asking if I've heard anything yet. I quickly type back: nope.

I turn up the volume on my phone as What Happens Now? by Olivia O'Brien plays in my headphones as I stare out the window. It's ten pm at night, the only lights on are the ones far in the distance as the bright New York City skyline gets further and further away. 

The song ends and Decode by Sabrina Carpenter starts playing.

If Trevor doesn't call me soon I'm gonna start blowing up his phone again. Not knowing if Jamie is okay is actually driving me crazy. I was trying to read more of my book, but I can't focus on anything until I know he's okay.

This is just another reason why long distance sucks. I should be with him right now not on the other side of the freaking country!

I close my eyes taking a deep breath and my music stops playing. My eyes shoot open and instantly look down at my phone. Trevor's name sits on my phone screen.

"Hello?" I hold my phone to my ear.

"Hi."

I instantly smile when I hear Jamie's voice instead of my brothers.

"Hi," hearing his voice helps me relax a bit but I can hear how disheveled he still is, "How are you?"

"I'll be fine," he sighs, "I'm gonna need surgery though."

"Are you done for the season?" I ask biting the inside of my cheek.

"Yeah," I can hear the annoyance and disappointment in his voice.

"I'm sorry," I don't know what to say but I feel terrible. He can't do the thing he loves most.

"Don't be sorry," he scoffs, "You didn't do anything."

"I still feel bad. You love playing and now you can't, that fucking sucks! Plus I like watching you play and now I can't and that really sucks!"

He laughs, "But it means I won't be traveling as much."

"When do you have to have surgery?" I ask with an idea.

"In a few weeks probably and Trevor's gonna be gone for a roadie," he hums, probably with the same thought I have.

I smile to myself, "Give me the actual dates and I'll see what I can do."

He pauses for a second then sighs and says, "I miss you."

My eyes sting with tears, "I miss you."

"Okay don't start flirting with me right here," Trevor's voice comes from beyond the phone.

I laugh, "Did he give you a hard time?"

"Not yet but we'll see," Jamie says.

"He's not as scary as he seems."

"He doesn't scare me."

"I should, because if you do anything to ever make her sad you're living on the street, Jimmy!" Trevor says. He's trying to be serious but kind of sounds like he's making a joke.

Jamie muffles a laugh.

"He's lying, he'd be too lonely," I smile looking out the window.

"You're right," Jamie agrees.