27

KENDALL
OCTOBER

Mom, Dad and I are walking from the parking garage to Madison Square Garden, following the heard of people in blue jerseys. Hockey season is back in full swing, and tonight the Ducks are playing the Rangers so of course we're going to cheer on Trevor.

And Jamie.

I'm a few steps behind my parents with my phone to my ear.

"We're walking up 8th right now, where are you?" I say into the phone.

"Wait I think I see you," Davey responds.

Okay so uhm, my parents got four tickets for the game because Griffin was supposed to be home for our birthday, which was two days ago. But the idiot stayed out late celebrating with his friends last night and missed his flight this morning. So they told me to invite Mallory but she couldn't get off work. But we are gonna meet up for dinner after the game.

And since Mal couldn't come I invited Davey. We've been texting a lot since the funeral.

"You are not," I look up at him, narrowing my eyes as I slide my phone back into my purse.

"I can't betray my home team!" Davey smiles holding his arms out at his sides, showing off his bright blue Rangers jersey. He's layered a grey hoodie underneath.

While I'm wearing a bright orange Ducks jersey that falls a couple inches above my knees so it's like a dress. I'm wearing black tights underneath, with black knee high boots.

"What a disappointment," I shake my head.

"Mom, Dad!" I call after them as Davey and I catch up to them, "This is Davey."

"I remember you," Mom smiles as she and Davey shake hands, "Nice to see you again."

"It's nice to see you both again," Davey smiles as he shakes hands with my Dad.

"Nice jersey," Dad nods and actually means it. Davey's wearing a Gretzky jersey.

"Thanks, it was my Dad's," Davey says as we all start towards the entrance, "He got to see him play here a few times."

"We should of invited him," Dad laughs.

"Dad," I snap. Davey lost his dad to cancer in high school and I know Dad knows that. But just like Trevor, Dad just says whatever comes to his mind. Where do you think Trev got it from?

"It's okay," Davey glances at me then back to my dad, "He passed a few years ago."

I can see my Dad's face drop as he says, "I am so sorry."

"All good," Davey smiles as we get into the security lines.

I lean over and whisper, "I'm sorry about that."

He turns to look down at me with a small smile.

Damn he's cute. Was he always this cute? Like he was cute in high school but something has changed since we graduated. His dirty blonde hair is a little long on the top, kind of like Trevor's but shorter on the sides. He's got these light brown eyes that kind of reflect green and yellow, that are framed by his glasses.

"Don't worry about it."

We make it through security and down to our seats, we're sitting a few row up from the Duck's bench. But my parents are sitting in the two seats a in front of us since there weren't four in a row together when they bought the tickets.

"I'm gonna go grab a snack," I look over at Davey as I reach for my purse from under my seat, "Want anything?"

"Sure, I'll come with," he nods, starting to stand up.