19

JAMIE

"Kendall has to go help Mal with something," Trevor says when he comes back from outside. He's collecting her purse from the chair beside me as he keeps talking, "She's gonna take an uber."

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"She didn't really say much," Trevor shrugs walking back outside.

I don't believe him.

I want to go out there and ask her myself. I want to hear her say everything's okay. But that might be a bit much instead I pull out my phone and send Kendall a text.

jamie - are you okay? what happened?

I look out the window to my right again.

Trevor and Kendall are standing facing each other. I can see that her face is red and stained with tears.

I can read Trevor's lips as he asks, "Are you sure?"

Kendall just nods before they hug and she walks around the side of the patio towards the parking lot.

What the hell is going on?

-

Trevor and I finally head home about an hour later. The rest of the time we were at the golf club he barely paid attention, and was constantly checking his phone.

"Z, what actually happened back there?" I ask sitting in the passenger seat of his car as we speed down the highway.

"Don't tell her I told you but," he sighs, rubbing his hand over his face, "Her ex overdosed last night, it was his best friend calling to tell her."

"Shit."

"Yeah, I know," he nods.

Once we make it back to the house Trevor goes straight to Kendall's room to check on her. I listen from the kitchen as he knocks on the door but there's no answer.

"Kendall I'm opening the door," he warns, and I hear the door squeak open.

"What the hell?" Trevor's voice echos from the hallway.

"What?" I ask.

"She's not here," he says entering the kitchen, phone in hand, "Her location says unavailable."

"Do you have Mallory's number?" I ask.

"Yeah, let me call her," he says putting the phone to his ear.

While he calls Mallory I go check the backyard, but Kendall's also not there. Where the hell did she go? When we pulled into the garage my car was still here so she didn't take a drive, unless she didn't actually come right back here.

When I enter the house again Trevor's nodding, still on the phone.

"If you hear from her let me know?" He says as we make eye contact and he shakes his head. Shit.

"Yeah I'll keep you updated," Trevor says before the call ends.

"She hasn't heard from her either," Trevor sighs setting his phone on the table, "I should have just taken her home."

Yeah you should of. But I don't say that.

"I'm gonna call Ava and see if she called her," Trevor says picking up his phone again.

He paces the living room as he talks to his sister. I listen to everything he says but I can't hear Ava.

"Hey, have you heard from Ken?"

"Did she say anything about going somewhere?"

"Are you sure?"

"Kay, thanks, Ava."