35

KENDALL
LAST WEEK OF NOVEMBER

"Stop moving!" Mallory groans with a pin between her teeth as she pulls on the fabric around my hips.

"Sorry, I'm trying to put the game on," I say with the TV remote in my hand. I'm standing on a stool in her tiny apartment living room while she makes the final adjustments to this dress.

Mallory's winter fashion showcase is in less than a week, she's having me and her roommates all model for her. The dress she has me wearing is made with the most beautiful pastel orange silk fabric and this amazing yellow lace she found, the sleeves hang off my shoulders and drape around my arms. It has a rounded, shell shaped neckline and a straight skirt with a small train. The lace lays over the top of the dress so beautifully. I have no clue how she does it, but she always creates the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen.

"Right on time!" I smile once I get the game on the TV. They're showing an overhead shot of the starting puck drop, my brother at center ice ready to take on the Las Vegas Knights.

"Ken! Stop moving!"

"Sorry!" I freeze and let her do her thing.

"How are things with Jamie going?" She asks as she pulls on the fabric around my hips.

"Good, we're trying to figure out a time to see each other again but their schedule for the next few weeks is kinda crazy," I tell her.

"But you aren't feeling weird about things anymore?" She pauses whats she's doing and looks at me.

"No," I smile, "It sucks being so far away from each other but we've found other ways to make it work."

"I'm happy for you Ken," Mallory smiles, "I haven't seen you this happy in...ever."

"What?"

She thinks for a minute, "You were happy with Connor but this is different, you're like relaxed happy."

I can feel my cheeks heat up as we fall silent and I start focusing on the game.

After a few minutes Mallory walks in front of me, she looks like a fashion designer from a movie. Her dark hair is pulled up into a messy bun, there's even a pencil stuck into it, she's got a measuring tape hanging around her neck and a pin in her hands as she analyzes the dress.

"What if I take off the sleeves and add another layer here," she's just talking so I can't tell if she wants a response or if she's just thinking out loud, "Cause I could make this almost look like flower, like if I..." she trails off as she stares at the dress thinking.

Then she looks up at me, "Go take it off I want to make some changes." She looks over at her kit, "Boning!"

I raise a brow at her in confusion, then step down to go change in the hoodie and jeans I came over in.

I catch a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror she has in her room, and smile to myself.

I'm wearing the black Erie Otters hoodie Jamie sent me after last time I saw him. It's got his old number, 4, on the shoulder. The hoodie still faintly smells like his warm cologne but it's starting to fade. He didn't score a goal that game so he technically lost the bet but he surprised me and sent it anyway, along with a little hand written note and snacks. He's the cutest.

It's been almost two month since our little get away in Minnesota. God, I miss him. We talked on the phone on my train ride into the city just a few hours ago but I still miss him.

I take a deep breath forcing away the sad thoughts and pick up the dress from Mallory's bed and heading back to the living room.

"How the hell do you understand this game?" Mallory asks watching the TV screen as I hand her the dress.