005. Vanessa.

"Where is she Steve?!" I asked, looking all around us.

"She was behind us! She was here!" Steve cried, as Nancy stared at me, her eyes wide with fear and grief.

"She was behind us..." Steve said, panicking.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, as Nancy looked over my shoulder.

"Eddie...." Nancy said, before I turned around.

Turned around and saw the tornado of bats, circling a small figure at the bottom.

I saw the familiar, long raven hair and my heart caught in my chest.

"No... no, no!" I cried, breaking into a run.
Steve caught me by my elbow and pulled me back to him.

"We can't save her man... there's too many." Steve said, his bottom lip quivering slightly.

"I don't care, I'm going to try!" I cried, wrenching my arm out of his grasp.

The bats swirled up into the air at that moment as if by fate or sheer dumb luck and I saw that the figure in the centre was no longer standing.

The figure was lying on the floor, motionless.

And then I heard a cry, and watched a leg move.

"VANESSA!" I cried when I reached her and fell to my knees before her.

"Eddie...." She whimpered.

There was blood everywhere.

There was blood on her face, her neck, her hands, her stomach and all on the floor around her.

I held her in my arms, as Steve and Nancy knelt down either side of me.

"You're going to be okay..." I said, crying.

I held her to me, as she shook her head.

"I just wanted to save you...." She whispered, blood seeping from her mouth.

I watched as it coated her perfect straight white teeth and a shaky sob fell from my mouth.

"You did... but we're gonna get you up and get you back home." I said, before attempting to move her.

"Eddie..." Steve whispered.

Vanessa cried out in pain, and then her eyes met mine.

"Oh god I'm sorry...we'll just give you a minute and try again." I said, hurriedly.

"Ed......" Steve said again, with more hint of a warning.

"Please..." I begged him.

I knew I couldn't. But I just wanted to hold onto the unlikely possibility for a moment longer.

Anything other than to accept what I knew was going to come.

"I can't go back with you." She said, as a shaky, bloodied hand reached up to cup my face.

I watched her choke slightly and struggle to breathe, her body vibrating with shock.

"You can..." I whispered, in denial.

"Vanessa please...." I begged, crying.

"Promise me you'll win." She said, shivering.

Her eyelids fluttered slightly and I knew she was fighting the inevitable. For me.

"Please promise me..." She begged, tears falling from her eyes.

"I promise..." I said, as Nancy wrapped an arm across my shoulders, looking down at Vanessa's broken frame, lying almost limp in my arms.