016. The Best Worst Date.

"Do you have a booking?"

"Yeah, it's under Rowley." I said, quoting my best friend's surname.

"Oh that's great, you're the final one." She said.

"I'm late?" I asked.

"No." She said, chuckling softly.

She led me through a sea of bodies, drinking and chatting, and stopped by a table with only two chairs, and a person already there, about to be seated.

"Uhm, I think there's been a mistake. The booking is for Rowley, for eight people." I said.

"You called and booked for two." She said, confused.

"I didn't call." I said, as the person about to be seated at the table watched our exchange with some confusion.

"Yeah, they told me it was for eight people too. My friends said they were coming." He said.

"Mine too." I said, before it all suddenly made sense.

"I'm gonna kill her." I said, huffing slightly.

"Why don't you sit and I'll check the diary?" The waitress said, pulling the chair out for me.

We both sat down, feeling awkward and I eyed him with a little caution.

"We've been set up." I said.

"Apparently so." He answered, looking far from impressed.

"You know Sadie?" I asked.

"I do. We have mutual friends." He said.

"Mutual friends who've set this up." I answered.

"Yeah." He said, unamused.

"So what is this exactly?" I asked.

"I'm thinking it's something like a blind date." He said.

"Oh my god." I said, cringing internally.

The waitress came back then, and eyed us both cautiously.

"Yeah the booking is for two..... you two." She said.

"Yeah, we've figured that out." I said, pressing my lips together, wanting the ground to swallow me.

A waiter appeared behind her, and to add insult to injury, he placed a bottle of Prosecco down on the table.

"Complimentary. Enjoy." He said, a little too happily for me.

And feeling like I needed it, I cleared my throat and reached for the bottle.

"You mind?" I asked, as he shook his head.

"Not at all." He said, with a clenched jaw.

"Good, because this occasion calls for me to forgo a glass." I said, before taking a hearty swig from the bottle.

He raised his beer in a sarcastic toast, and I took another swig, before meeting the waiters eye.

"What?" I asked, as he stared at me, wide eyed.

He busied himself, and I turned back to the unhappy individual in front of me, and sighed.

"We're both in the same predicament. So why don't we just have another drink and I don't know, talk?" I asked, trying to be nice and trying to calm him down.

I knew neither of us were expecting this, but I felt compelled to try and make this a little less awkward if I could.

"And maybe don't drink that, it tastes like mouthwash." I added.