011. A Letter to Elise.

She was skating around the roller rink, agile and like she simply floated on air.

The sounds of Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat played loudly over the speakers and she was both skating and dancing completely in sync to the beat.

She didn't seem to be with anyone, and as the chorus kicked in, she suddenly turned and was skating backwards delicately around the rink, as I stared at her, completely captivated.

I was here for Dustin Henderson's birthday party, though for the moment it had escaped my attention.

She had my attention, now.

I watched her as she closed her eyes sporadically, feeling the rhythm of the song, completely lost in her own little world.

Whilst she was oblivious, my eyes took her in.

Long, flowing straight copper hair with a delicate fringe, red lips and slightly tanned skin.

She was wearing a fitted, cropped black T-shirt with pale blue boyfriend jeans, rolled up to her ankles.

As she turned I noticed that it was a Dio T-shirt, and I found my heart suddenly fluttering.

The song changed to Theme for Great Cities by Simple Minds and I saw a small, satisfied smile creep across her lips as she continued to skate, her eyes closing.

Before long, there was only two other people on the rink besides her and she continued to glide around effortlessly, skilled as her eyes opened and she familiarised herself with the space she now suddenly had.

"You want some cake Eddie?" I heard someone ask, but it sounded distant in my head, as I leaned on the barrier of the rink, itching to be closer so I could see her.

I didn't answer, as my eyes remained fixed on her.

And at the crucendo of the song, she suddenly started to spin around, becoming a blur of arms and copper hair before my eyes.

And I was brought back to reality with a harsh thud as I watched her suddenly fall and land on her back, splayed out on the rinks floor.

Without thinking and without hesitation I ran across the rink, ignoring the shouts of my friends, and ran over to her as she lay on the floor, staring up at the ceiling.

"Hey.... You okay?" I asked her, breathless.

Her eyes slowly moved over to me, and she smiled broadly.

"I'm good, thanks. Just watching the disco lights, I uhm... I can't seem to land a turn these days." She said, with a beautiful smile.

"It was still pretty impressive." I said, smiling.

"You skate a lot?" I added.

"Used to. Ankle injury though, so I don't skate on ice anymore these days, I can't. So this place well, it'll have to do." She said.

"You used to ice skate? That explains it." I said, as she laughed.

"Yeah, I did. But I don't anymore, and my weak ankle means I can't land turns like I used to. Doesn't stop me trying though." She said.

"Can I uhm, can I help you up?" I asked, as she smiled and nodded.

"Thanks." She said, taking my hand.

I gently lifted her up onto her skates, and she smiled.

"You think you'll be okay?" I asked her, as she chuckled softly.

"Not the first time I've landed on my ass. I'll be fine. Thanks for helping me up." She said, before giving me a small wave as she skated away from me.

Dustin appeared behind me, as I watched her skate off the rink and over to one of the benches, where she drank some water and removed her skates.