012. The Gate will always be Open, Lucy.

Playlist:

* Master of The House - Les Miserables
* One Day More - Les Miserables
* ABC/Red and Black - Les Miserables
* Empty Chairs at Empty Tables - Les Miserables
* Love Song for a Vampire - Annie Lennox
* Earned It - The Weeknd
* Rose Coloured Lenses - Miley Cyrus
* Empty Chairs at Empty Tables - Eddie & Mina

————————————————————————
" Mina, darling!"

I think if I heard that again tonight, it would be too soon.

I gulped the remainder of the champagne in my glass, and mentally prepared myself for my formidable friend, Lucy.

"Lucy, hi!" I said, as I turned around to greet her.

"You look amazing! Is that Chanel?" She asked, her wide eyes on the black dress I was wearing.

"The rich really do have a keen eye." I said with a grin.

"I just know my Chanel." She said, with a giddy laugh.

"Are you having fun?" She asked.

"Oh in abundance. Are you?" I asked as she squealed.

"I could just die." She said, laughing.

"That good, huh?" I asked her, with a raised eyebrow.

"David's here tonight, with Johnathan." She said, gleefully.

"That's great." I said, swallowing hard.

Meek, mild, gentlemanly Johnathan.

Things never did quite work out with Johnathan.
I had never realised until our three year relationship had broken down, the size of my character compared to his.

I was too big for his much smaller world, and when he did see me these days, he looked at me like a wounded animal.

"You should come and say hi." Lucy suggested as I shook my head.

"You'll have to excuse me Lucy, that's not something I think I can be around for." I said, placing my empty glass on the table behind me, lifting another full glass in its place.

I toasted her and she smiled.

"Alright. Find me later?" She asked, hopeful.

"Of course." I said, before walking past her, heading towards the stairwell.

I needed a cigarette.

*****************************************
Eddies POV.

I had no idea why I was here; I felt like a fish out of water.

The joys of having an offensively rich friend, who always had to drag me to these shindigs.

I think I'd spent most of the evening here, with other people like me, avoiding the rich as they partied away upstairs.

I was quite happy with the bottle of champagne I'd sneakily lifted from one of the tables, and a pack of smokes in my pocket, talking to real people as we stood on the stairwell, in the haze of a number of lit cigarettes, including the one in my own hand.

"She looks lost."

I turned to my fellow not so rich friend Jamie and cast him a disapproving look.

"Now now. She could just be looking for an escape like we all are tonight." I argued.

"In that dress? I don't think so." Jamie said, laughing.

I braved a glance at the beauty who had suddenly appeared on the stairs, and she stopped to sit on the stair she was standing on.