Chapter 22

Cliff's POV

Cliff's POV

Coming in tonight I was still so mad at Lamarques. All he had to do was tell me what was bothering him but instead he choosing to hide it from me. Sitting here looking at my face in the vanity doing my night routine I felt a breeze. A bitch looked at the window to see if it was open and when I did the window was closed. "Hummm." I said looking back in my vanity mirror, but when I did the face that I saw it stopped me in my tracks. I dropped my exofoliant cream on the floor. She still as beautiful as I remember her to be. Her chocolate skin would melt anyman. From her floss down to her shoes she always stepped on hoes. My momma...that's right my momma it's her.

"Baby why you giving that bwoy such a hard time?"

"Ion know whatchu talm bout momma" I said continuing to use my roll to make the pores of my skin disappear . She was standing behind me and she pulled out her lighter and lit her cigarette. I couldn't help but stare.

"Clifford, he going through sum. Can't you sense that?"

"What like you?" I asked her looking back at her through the reflection of the mirror. "Could you sense it?"

She just got real silent. She looked at me for the longest time in the reflection of the mirror until she finally bent over my shoulder and ashed out her cigarette in my ashtray.

"Baby, don't talk bout sum you don't know about. You wasn't there."

"Oh I remember being there all too well momma!" I shouted back at her.

"Since you think you know errythang, lemme tell you the missing pieces of the story." She said taking me down memory lane.

" She said taking me down memory lane

Beulah's POV

"See baby, you was only fifteen when the pieces of my life started to unfold. It was hard for ya to unsderstand. I remember that cause when you was up in the hospital wit me for the last days I spent here...wit you, you asked me why. Why I had to leave, why the doctors couldn't fix me. This virus was still new to us, new to this world."