Chapter 3

"That was the best birthday party ever!"

"You say that every year, Mila" Rúben chuckles.

"And every year, I mean it. I don't know how you guys manage to organize them and always surprise me."

"We know you better than you know yourself."

"You know me better than I know myself. You are my best friend forever" she says with a big smile.

"Your bff, yes."

"A bff who looks really handsome today, by the way."

"I do?"

"You do" Mila says, looking at him while he drives. He obviously is stupidly handsome and hot, but today, it is different. Today, it feels different for some reason.

"Thank you" Rúben smiles, feeling his cheeks get warm. It isn't the first time she compliments him like this. Why does it feel different? "But I couldn't let the birthday girl down. You look gorgeous."

"What did you say before we left for the party? Your exact words" she asks with a cheeky smile.

"That you looked bloody gorgeous" he replies with a similar smile. And he had meant it. The moment she left her room, Rúben couldn't take his eyes of Mila. He had seen her all dolled up many times before, but she had never looked this good. He had never found himself looking at her in awe, thinking that she couldn't be real.

"Are you ok?"

"Uh?"

"You suddenly went all serious" Mila says.

"It's nothing, don't worry. Should we play some music, keep the party going until we make it home?"

"Yes! But I pick the songs, you drive."

"Ok" Rúben chuckles.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Mila, what is taking you so long?"

"My feet hurt."

"Your feet hurt?"

"Yes" she says, still sitting inside the car. "Can I ask one last thing as the birthday girl?"

"Your birthday ended a couple of hours ago."

"Just one last thing" she pouts.

"Fine" Rúben says, rolling his eyes.

"Can you carry me upstairs? My feet seriously hurt, I'm not making it up."

"What?"

"Oh, c'mon. Don't act as if it was the worst thing in the world. You've carried me around many times before, it takes you zero effort with those big and strong arms of yours."

"My what?" he chuckles.

"Come here" she says, stretching her arms toward him. "I want a piggyback ride."

"On that dress?"

"I'll roll it up, don't worry" she says, doing exactly that while Rúben can't keep his eyes from her fingers, from the way they touch her skin.

"Ok, let's go" he says, clearing his throat.

"One, two... Three!" Mila giggles, jumping on his back.

"Comfortable there?"

"Very. Let's go home" she says, resting her head on his shoulder.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Where to now?"

"My room" Mila says once they walk into their apartment.

"And what do I do now? Do I let you fall on the bed, throw you like a potatoes sack..."

"You know, the boys may be right. You do like violence."

"That's not being violent."

"And it isn't being gentle either."

"Ok, fine" Rúben says, sitting down on the bed. "Is this what the lady wanted?"

"It is" she giggles, freeing herself from his grip, making him miss it. Though it doesn't last long.

"Mila!" he says as she pulls him down, making him lay on the bed with her. On top of her to be precise. "What are you doing?"

"I want a cuddle to end my birthday."

"A cuddle?" he chuckles.

"Yes, a cuddle from my bff. Is that too much to ask?"

"It is not" he says, moving to lay next to her and hugging her from behind. "But don't fall asleep."

"I won't, I promise."

"I don't trust you, turn to look at me."

"Urgh" she says, moving to face him. "Happy now?"

"Very" he says, putting a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Mila asks.

"I'm not thinking about anything."

"Yeah, sure. You are too focused, you are definitely thinking about something."

"It is nothing" Rúben says, his fingers now caressing her ear, the temptation to keep moving down to her jaw and to her lips, being very real. Her lips. What would happen if he kissed her now? Bruno would definitely be happy, though they would have no proofs about it happening. Instead, he just lets his arm rest around her waist.

"Rúben..." Mila whispers. He is looking at her lips. And he is so close. What if he kisses her? What would happen? Will it change things between them? "I have to pee" she suddenly blurts out.

"What?"

"I need to pee, please let me go" she says, trying to move Rúben's arm from her waist.

"Ok" he says, confused about her reaction.

"It'll probably start taking off my make up too, so you can go to your room. It's late."

"Ok."

"Good night, Rúben" she says, walking into the bathroom and closing the door behind her.

"Good night" he mutters. He was going to kiss her. He wanted to do it. But she clearly didn't. She noticed, she freaked out, and that's why she's hiding on the bathroom. "Great" Rúben says to himself as he leaves her room.

That night, it takes him ages to fall asleep. He can't stop thinking about Mila, about how she made him feel today. It was something new, something he had never felt before with her. Could John be right? Could have the love he had always felt for her as his best friend, started to turn into something else?

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━