Chapter 12

"Mate, stop stalking Mila."

"Uh?"

"You are checking her friend's Instagram. Again" John says.

"I wasn't. It was open there from earlier."

"Rúben, I'm not five. You were checking again that photo where she's in the background laughing with some guy."

"Ok, fine, yes. I was. Happy now?"

"No, I'm not. She asked you to give her space to make up her mind. Let her."

"It's not as if I'm constantly sending her texts or something like that" Rúben says.

"Maybe. But you are looking at that photo with such intensity, that I'm sure she can feel your eyes on her even if she's on the other side of the country."

"You are so funny" Rúben replies, rolling his eyes. "But do you think..."

"Do I think..."

"Do you think something happened between them?" he finally dares to ask. That thought had been on his head since the moment he saw the photo. He knew Mila, and she was definitely having fun with that guy, she wasn't faking it. And he had his arm around her waist, which means that he was definitely interested on her.

"Maybe? I don't know, man" John says. "But she is single. If she wants to hook up with someone, she's free to do it. And so are you."

"I don't want to hook up with anyone."

"I think it will do you some good, help you stop obsessing over Mila. That isn't healthy, mate."

"I know it isn't" Rúben sighs. And he hates himself for feeling like that.

"Then why don't we join Jack and the others tonight? We go out, have some fun, maybe meet some nice girls..."

"Ok, fine. Just don't pressure me to do anything."

"Me? Never" John smiles.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Rubes, mate, that girl over there is begging for your attention."

"John, what did I tell you this morning?"

"I don't know. You were crying over Mila and then... I don't know" he shrugs. "But look at that girl! Have you seen her? She's so hot!"

"John..."

"Mila may have shagged that dude from the photo. Don't you think you also deserve some fun?"

"I don't want a one night stand."

"Yes, I know, you want Mila, to marry her and have five children. But until that happens, you could have some fun, you know?" John insists. "She's coming over here. Be nice."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"You could also do something, you know? I'm putting all the work."

"I'm sorry, Charlotte" Rúben says.

"Margot. My name is Margot" she replies, moving from being on top of him and sitting on the bed. "What is wrong with you?"

"It's too complicated" he sighs.

"You can tell me while I wait for my uber."

"I've fallen in love with my best friend."

"Oh, shit."

"Oh shit indeed" he chuckles.

"And does your best friend feel the same for you?"

"I think she does. But she's having some trouble accepting it, she's too scared. She thinks that if things go wrong, if we don't work out as a couple, our friendship will be over."

"An understandable feeling."

"I know. She's asked me to give her space, but I am struggling a bit with that."

"Are you stalking her or something?" Margot asks.

"No, no. I just... I'm constantly refreshing Instagram to see if she or the friends she's with have shared something new. I can't stop thinking about her."

"That's a bit stalkery."

"It is, isn't it?" Rúben sighs.

"If you really love her, you must give her that space, let her figure out things on her own. It will be tough, but it will also do you some good. You clearly don't like the way you are behaving."

"I don't, no. I hate it."

"Then uninstall Instagram from your phone. Block her number. Cut all type of communication with her, and just enjoy your lads holiday."

"What if something happens to her? What if she wants to talk to me and she can't?"

"Does she know any of your friends?" Margot asks.

"She knows them all, yes."

"Then if something happens, she can call them. And they can also keep up with her."

"It could work..."

"It works. That's how I stopped going back to my stupid ex" Margot shrugs. "And my uber is here."

"Thank you."

"What for?" she asks, getting up from the bed.

"The chat. I needed it."

"You're welcome" she smiles. "I would have enjoyed a lot more shagging you because you are like, the hottest man I have ever seen, but... Oh, well. Good night, John."

"That was my friend. I'm Rúben" he chuckles.

"John, Rúben, Charlotte, Margot..." she says with a smile. "It was nice meeting you."

"You too. Good night, Margot."

"Good night, Rúben" she says, leaving the room.