Chapter 5

"You didn't have to come pick me up from training. I could have called a taxi or ask Bernardo to do it."

"I know, but I wanted to do it myself and make sure you made it home safe and sound."

"Thank you bff" Rúben says, kissing Mila's cheek.

"Anything for you, big head" she replies.

"It isn't that big" he laughs. "But maybe its size is what saved me from having it open in half."

"Do not joke about that."

On Sunday's game he was hit on the head by a rival and had to leave the pitch. Even though it hadn't been anything serious, the doctors advised him to take it slow and to not drive for a week.

"Oh, Rúben!" someone says as the lift's doors open. "How are you?"

"I'm good, Sasha. Thank you for asking."

Sasha. Jack Grealish's girlfriend. They live in the same building as Mila and Rúben, and for some reason, she doesn't like Mila.

"I think she doesn't like you because Jack is constantly flirting with you" Rúben said when she told him about it.

"He flirts with everyone" Mila replied. "But she shouldn't have to worry. If it was just Jack and I left in the world and the future of the human race depended on us, we would go extinct."

"You are so dramatic" Rúben laughed.

"It is the truth" she shrugged.

"How is that pretty head of yours?" Sasha says while caressing Rúben's cheek. That isn't the place where he was hit.

"It's fine, it doesn't hurt or anything."

"Good" she says, her hand now moving to his chest. Why does she need to be so touchy with him? "The team needs his best defender."

"I think John would disagree with that."

"Nonsense" she giggles, her hand still on his chest.

"We should probably get going, you need to rest" Mila says, starting to get annoyed.

"Oh, I hadn't seen you there" Sasha says, giving her a fake smile. "Are you his nurse or something?"

"I actually am, so if you don't mind..." Mila says, the temptation to slap her hand and make her move it from Rúben's chest being very high. Very, high.

"Yes, of course" she says, finally moving her hand but now placing it on his arm, giving it a little squeeze. "Get well soon, Rúben."

"Thank you, Sasha" he says with a smile, totally unaware of what she is doing.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Come on, spit it."

"What?" Mila says when they make it to their apartment.

"You are clearly mad about something, so come on, tell me what it is."

"I am not mad" she chuckles.

"You are pouting. You only do that without noticing when you are sleeping or when you are mad about something" Rúben says.

"I pout when I'm sleeping?"

"You do, yes." And he has always found it very cute.

"Whatever. I'm not mad, I'm just... slightly pissed."

"About what?" Rúben says, sitting down on the sofa.

"Is not a what" she says, sitting down next to him. "It's a who."

"Oh... Sasha."

"Exactly" Mila says. "She has a boyfriend. One that is constantly cheating on her and that she isn't dumping for some odd reason, but he is her boyfriend. And even though I would love to see her giving him some of his own medicine, she should go touch someone else, not you."

"Jealous?" Rúben asks with a smile.

"Of course not!" Mila says, hitting him on the chest. "See? I can touch you whenever I want."

"And often as you want" Rúben thinks to himself.

"But you are Jack's teammate. Imagine that someone sees you, takes some photos and sends them to The Sun or the Daily Mail. Pep has enough dramas on his plate already, he doesn't need more!"

"Are you worrying about City now? You?" he chuckles.

"I worry about you and your career, and that makes me worry about City too."

"Despite wanting us to lose all our games."

"Yes. It is complicated. And it could get even more complicated if Sasha doesn't keep her hands to herself."

"You know she only does it to bother you, don't you?" Rúben says, not being able to help himself and putting a lock of hair behind Mila's ear, making her... blush? Nah, it can't be.

"I know why she does it. But maybe next time you could stop her instead of just smiling and being your usual polite self."

"Next time she touches me, I'll stop her."

"Promise?" Mila asks him.

"I promise" Rúben says.