Chapter 6

"Ok, come here" Rúben says, taking Mila's hand and making her get up from the table.

"I'm eating my breakfast in case you haven't noticed."

"And you also are extremely nervous."

"I'm not."

"You are. I know you better than yourself, and you are nervous about today's game. So let me help you deal with it."

"How?"

"You know how" he says, moving his free hand to her waist and pulling her closer to him.

Dancing. They've done it since they were kids, and it has always helped Mila when she's nervous. She can't remember how they started doing it, but there is something about having him so close, about looking into each other's eyes and feeling like it's just them in the world, that helps her relax. That helps them both relax.

"Why are you nervous, tho?" she asks him while they slowly swing from side to side. "This is going to be your third Premier League title, you should be used to it by now."

"You never get used to this feeling, trust me" he chuckles. "But I think today I am more nervous about your game than mine."

"You are?"

"Yep. You are going to win your first big trophy since you moved to Manchester, that is huge."

"It is. But it may not happen."

"It will happen" Rúben says, pulling her a bit closer to him. "I know it will. I just wish I was there to see it in person."

"You'll be celebrating that you have won the Premier, you won't be thinking about me."

"I will be thinking about you" he says, his eyes fixed on hers when he says that, making her aware of how close their faces are. So close, that they could make Bruno happy and finally kiss... "Your phone is ringing."

"What?"

"Your phone is ringing" Rúben repeats. "It probably is your mum checking on you before the game."

"It probably is, yes."

"Are you going to pick it up or..."

"Maybe when you free me" Mila chuckles.

"Yes, sorry" he says, letting go of her and taking a step back.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"¡Campeones, campeones, oe, oe, oe!" Rodri sings. "Vamos, Rúben, join me!"

"Give me a minute, I want to check my phone first" he says, sitting down on his locker.

"Checking if the United girls won?" Rodri asks, sitting next to him.

"Yes" Rúben says, scrolling through his messages until he finds one from Mila. She's sent her a photo with the medal, the biggest smile ever on her face.

"Aww, she looks cute. And look at the way you are smiling. A proper best friend" he says, patting him the back. "Are you joining me now or not?"

"I'm going to send her a photo of my medal, I'll be with you in a moment."

"Ok" Rodri says, getting up and starting to sing again.

"What are you doing there?" John asks, sitting where Rodri was just a moment ago.

"Trying to take a photo with my medal" Rúben says.

"To send it to your girlfriend? No, sorry, to your best friend."

"Yes, to send it to her. She already sent me hers" he says, showing him the photo Mila sent.

"Look at that smile! But they won, we won... You know what this means, right?"

"I do."

"And?"

"And I don't know, John. I don't know" Rúben sighs.

"Wow, this is new. No shut up or eyes rolling?"

"Nope."

"Why? What happened?"

"I don't know exactly what happened, but something has happened."

"C'mon you boring bitches, let's celebrate!" Jack screams on their faces.

"Give us a minute, mate" John says, pushing him away.

"I don't have a minute" Jack laughs, starting to sing very loud.

"We'll talk about this later when everyone has calmed down a bit, ok?" John tells Rúben, giving his shoulder a little squeeze.

"Ok" he replies.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Girl, stop checking your phone and come celebrate!" Ella screams.

"Just one minute, Rúben just sent me a photo."

"Damn, look at him. I wish I was that medal."

"You want him to bite you?" Mila chuckles.

"Why not?" she shrugs. "It's a shame it won't happen because one, I have a boyfriend, and two, he fancies you."

"Who fancies you?" Lessie says, putting one arm around Mila's shoulders, the other around Ella's.

"Rúben, obviously" Ella says.

"Oh, yes! The kiss! Are you ready for it?" Lessi asks.

"I... I don't know."

"You don't know? What do you mean with you don't know?"

"Exactly that. That I don't know. As the end of the season has come closer, I've been thinking more about it and getting like... Nervous."

"You don't want to do it?" Ella asks.

"Yes... No... I don't know. Things have felt... Different."

"You are not making any sense" Lessi says.

"I know" Mila sighs. "Can we leave this chat for later and just go celebrate with the girls? I need to stop thinking."

"A drink would help with that."

"You know I don't drink, Ella."

"Then we will drink for you and keep you entertained. What do you say, Alessia Russo?"

"I say that it sounds like a great idea, Ella Toone. Let's forget about hot men and go celebrate that we just won the fucking league!" she yells, other girls joining them, everyone starting to sing and jump.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━