Fathers and Mothers

Yui could hear the booms echoing from the arena as Ururaka and Bakugou battled, but she couldn't watch her fight. Guilt was holding her by the reins and causing her to twist and turn in every direction.

A heavy sigh left her lips as she took another sip of water. Her head leaned back and faced the ceiling.

"Hello, Yui." She shot up from her seat, knives ready as Todoroki shuffled into her room. She sat down in a blink, metal clattering to the floor after she dusted her hands off on her uniform.

"Hi, sorry."

"Do not worry, I caught you off guard."

She rubbed her temples, standing up once more to pace the length of the room. She could feel her own pulse against her head, her own blood thumping and begging to be let out.

"Are you ok?" He asked, almost with a tone that indicated that he didn't care at all.

"Oh yeah, just peachy."

"Ok."

"Not like I just turned my best friend into a puppet and controlled her so she would lose instead of giving her the proper chance at combat that she deserved even though she would have lost anyways." She ranted, running a hand through her hair. "Ugh! I hate this school and my stupid fucking quirk!"

"Yeah, me too." Todoroki unconsciously brought a hand up to his scar.

"What?"

"I hate my quirk."

"Really? I mean I would dream to have your quirk, it's so heroic and people aren't scared of you." Yui sighed, ranting as her eyes met his.

"It came because of a quirk marriage that my mother was forced into. I would rather not think about it" Todoroki averted his eyes and brushed his hair to cover his scar.

"Sorry." She paused. "But me too, you and I- we aren't too different. I too do not want to use the power that connects me to my mother, but unlike you, I have nothing else to rely on to keep me afloat.

————————

Yui took a deep breath from her nose and exhaled through her mouth, opening her eyes as she walked towards the center of the arena to face Tokoyami.

The crowd was cheering loudly, and she could feel the cameras on her back, but she heard nothing as she faced him.

"Yui, I'm glad to be fighting a strong opponent." Tokoyami said, his voice dark and deep like the shadow that spread behind him. "Let the best fighter win."

"Good thing you said that, because we both know I'm the better fighter." She cracked her knuckles, and dusted her hands off on the pants of her uniform. "But sure, let the best fighter win."

The countdown echoed through the arena,

3, 2, 1 and the arena went quiet inside Yui's head. Fighting with Tokoyami was familiar, it was like fighting with darkness.

Two daggers formed from the palms of Yui's hand as she tried to swing at the Shadow around her, disorienting her body and her head as the darkness continued to hinder her vision.

"Tokoyami! Show yourself!" She demanded, booming unto the abyss of dark shadow. She groaned as she continued to swing her knives at the air around her, not moving her feet in fear of walking out of bounds by accident.

"You won't hurt dark shadow with your knives." Tokoyami taunted from behind her, as Yui spun on her ankle and tried to run to the voice. The white line of the boundary appeared in front of her as she skidded to a stop.