Chapter 2

Kayson

I looked out the window, questions on my mind. I just failed my fourth job. How was I supposed to know that she was allergic to cats? Nova hopped up by me. I started to stroke his patched fur, Nova started to purr. It must be so easy to be a cat who doesn’t have  to worry about Lady so and so, or Lord something or whatever. I blew the hair out of  my face. Life was just so cruel on the middle class. A sudden knock on the door startled Nova away from the window. 

“Kayson! Kayson!” Xander yelled. 

Xander Brooke was the baker's son. He was also my best friend. 

“Come in.”

Xander burst through the door and started talking like he had no air. 

“Did you see that cute girl down the street with the flowers? If not, you're missing out. I went up to her and she totally was into me.”

I smirked.

“ Sure Xander, Sure.”

Xander blinked. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at work?” 

“I got kicked out.” 

“Again?! How many jobs have you had now?”

“Four.” I mumbled.

Xander walked over to me.

“What are you gonna do now?” 

I hesitated, I didn't know what to do. Mother was a widow which meant that I needed to support us both. 

“You look like you need a break. Come on, I need to show you that pretty girl down the street.” Xander smiled. 

 “So then I can ask her to go out with you?”

“That was only one time!”

“Yeah, and this will be the second.”

Xander mumbled some things then said, “Are you coming or not?”

“Yeah, I'm coming.”

We walked down the street and Xander pointed out the flower girl to me. I almost burst out laughing. It was the same girl that slapped Xander when he first fell in love. 

“You do realize who that person is right?” I asked.

Xander just put on a smile and kept walking.

“Why, hello again, Darling.”

“I told you that I don’t want to talk to you.”

“Well what’s the point in that?”

She rolled her eyes. 

“I hear there's a ball, do you want to come with me?”

Her eyes lit up, 

“You were invited!”

“W-well, no.”

Her cheeks went red with anger. I took a step back and winced as I heard a loud slapping noise. Xander started rubbing his face mumbling how she slap’s like last time. Xander turned to me. 

“Don’t. Say. A. Thing.” 

“Didn't need to.”

We went back to my house to put something cold on his cheek, when a sudden cry of alarm startled me. I turned to see a young lady with light chocolate brown hair crying for help, I also saw two boys with wooden swords ready to hit her. I quickly ran over there and took the sword from the two boys who ran away. I turned to the young lady.

“Are you ok?”

“I-I'm fine, they just started me, thank you.”

We stood there for a little bit just staring at each other. She clearly was from a higher class. Xander broke the silence.

“Did I miss- why hello.” Xander said, clearly flirting.

“Good morning.”

“You're a pretty lady.”

She blushed.

“The name's Xander, Xander Brooke.”

“My name is Emma Barns.”

Xander and I stood agape. 

“You're a Barns?” I asked

She blushed again, and nodded.

“Well-Heh- Miss Barn’s how do you do?” 

She laughed. “You can call me Emma. And, I’m well.”

“Emma. beautiful name” Xander grabbed her hand and placed a kiss on her knuckles.

Emma smiled, which was soft and sweet. Emma turned to me.

“I didn’t catch your name?”

“Kayson Wood.” 

“Well nice to meet you, woul- would the both of you like to come to our ball?”

I went to reply that we couldn't, because of the many reasons that we would not fit in, but Xander got there first.

“Of course!”

“Excellent! It is at sundown. I can't wait to see you there.”

She curtsied then walked up the road.

“We're going to the ball.” I mumbled. 

I whipped around to face Xander.

“Xander, do you realize what you just got us into?”

Xander brushed it aside, smirked then walked the other direction.