Chapter 30

Kayson

I awoke to my side screaming at me in pain. But I also felt Emma beside me. I slowly rubbed her shoulder. We sat in that position for a little while. Her soft breathing was the only thing that filled the room. Then a door opened in the hallway. I quickly closed my eyes trying to sleep. But the footsteps were light. I smiled when realizing that it must be a small child. Olive. I peeked to see her walking in a sneaking way. I closed my eyes again to look like I was sleeping. She walked across the room. I peeked again and smiled, closing my eyes again. Olive giggled. I opened my eyes to see her fully. I lifted my free arm to my lips gesturing for her to be quiet. She giggled again and did the same thing I did. But this time she slowly walked to the couch and sat next to Emma and started to play with her hair. I smiled but winced as Emma stirred. I really needed some more powder. Emma’s eyes blinked open and she suddenly sat up, face red.

“Good morning.” I said smiling. 

Olive hugged Emma.

“Now I can play with friends!” Olive then hopped off the couch and ran into the hall.

“I uh…” Emma tucked her hair behind her ear. “I didn't mean to…I-”

“Emma. It’s fine.”  I slowly sat forward. Olive then came running back with a half awake Isaac. 

“Now we can all play!” Olive started twirling and giggling. Emmettt then came into the hallway yawning. 

“Darling, I told you to not wake everyone.” Olive ran over to Emmett. 

“But Kay was awake, we were super sneaky. Then Emma woke up. So I thought Isaac could play with us too. So I got Isaac.” Olive then ran back and took Emma’s hand trying to get her to twirl with her. Emma smiled and ended up just standing. Olive then tried getting me to stand and twirl with but I smiled trying to explain. 

Emmett saved me.“Olive, Daring, I need to take a look at him really fast.” 

Olive shrugged then continued twirling again. I stood and followed the doctor to the same room as last time. He then asked me to take the powder which I gladly took. Emmettt examined me again.

“The swelling has gone down, but it still will take a while for it to heal. So just keep taking this for a couple weeks then you're going to have to wait out the rest for it to heal.” I nodded in understanding. We walked back into the room to find Emma gone. 

“Where's Emma?” I asked Olive.

“Mamma’s giving her a bath.” I nodded. 

“You're going to be getting one right after.” Emmett said. Olive giggled. Emmett's wife then came into the room.

“Isaac. Want to help me with breakfast today?” Isaac hopped off the couch and wobbled over probably from the spinning. 

After breakfast, which was just as good as the soup yesterday, Emma then came into the room with a new yellow dress.

“It looks wonderful on you!” Emmett's wife walked over to her. And they started to gab about dresses but I tuned out because I wouldnt understand a thing anyway. Emmetts grabbed my arm and we started to walk.

“Your turn.”

The bath felt amazing. The coldness after was not.  Emmett let me borrow some clothing of his which was more fancier than I was used to. But it felt good to be in clean clothes. We walked back to see Olive, Emmett's wife, and surprisingly Isaac, working on Emma’s hair. Emmett laughed. I smiled. This was definitely something I would remember. Emma’s hair had braids and twists and bows all over.

“Do you like my hair?” Emma asked, gesturing to her messy hair. “I think it's gonna end up staying.” I laughed softly. Olive then hopped off the couch.

“Let's do something else… Music!” She jumped up and down while Emmett's wife walked across the room to the piano. She started playing a happy tune. Olive then ran over to her dad and pulled him into a dance. They twiled and we clapped. Then Olive stopped because she was dizzy, but still smiling. She slowly waddled to me, then took my hand. Her hand felt super small compared to mine. She then started to pull me to the middle and we started to turn. Olive wouldn't stop giggling. She then stopped and walked over to Emma trying to pull her over to me.

"Olive, I can't dance." She limped over after Olive tried the second time. I held out my hand for her to take.

"It will be just a simple dance." I smiled after Olive jumped up and down. Emma hesitated then took my hand. 

"Wrap your arms around my neck."

She did so.

"Now I'm going to wrap my arms around your waist, if that's alright." Emma nodded. We slowly shuffled back and forth. We even made a slow circle. The music began to fade in the background as I looked into Emma's eyes. She looked into mine. We stopped dancing and my heart began to race. I slowly leaned forward and Emma slowly closed her eyes. Her breath was against my lips when a loud banging of the door caused us to part. Emma stepped back and limped, following Emmett. I stood there. My chest hurt from my heart beating so hard. We had almost kissed. Noises came from the door causing me to turn. I knew those voices. A chill ran through me as I looked through the window. Why was everyone from town here?