Chapter 28

Kayson

I couldn't breathe. Emma couldn't walk. We needed help, but we didn't know how to get it. We stopped after neither of us could go forward anymore. I slowly lowered to let Emma slide into a sitting position. But I gasped causing us to both fall instead. I groaned and breathed as little as possible.

“Kayson! What's wrong?” Emma scooted to my side. All I could do was hold as still as possible. My side hurt like crazy. 

“Im…fine.” I managed to say.

“You're not. You are barely breathing and you wince with every movement.”

I tried to sit up but ended up just rolling to my not hurting side. My side still hurt just as much so I went back into my first position. Emma looked at me with sadness. She slowly grabbed my hand which I gladly took. A soft noise came from the distance. We froze listening. It sounded like…a wagon? Emma slowly got up and limped over in that direction.  

“It’s a road!” Silence. “With someone coming our way!” Emma leapt forward disappearing behind the trees. I tried to get up. I managed to sit up but that was all I could do. I was starting to get dizzy from the pain. I flinched when hearing Emma shouting and then horses. I slowly got up and grabbed my side. I had to go see and make sure Emma was safe. I slowly walked through the trees and Emma almost ran into me. 

“It's a doctor!” Emma said smiling. An older gentleman stepped down out of the wagon. He took off his hat and walked towards us. I tried straightening up my posture but ended up wincing. 

“What happened to you two?” He walked forward. I stepped back taking Emma’s hand. Emma squeezed my hand.

“Kayson, he can help us.” Emma pleaded.

“You don’t have to be scared. I really can help. I live in a small town a little down the road. I can help you with a warm bed and food. You clearly need it.” That was true. We hadn't eaten in a while and Emma’s foot needed to be looked at. I looked at Emma who had pleading eyes. I then looked at the doctor. I slowly nodded. He smiled softly. 

“Follow me so I can look at you two.” The doctor then started walking to the back. Emma and I followed. When we went to the back he gestured for Emma to sit. While she sat he went to the front to grab his bag.

“I don't trust him.” I whispered to Emma. She ignored me. The doctor came back with his bag, set it down and knelt to see Emma's foot better. 

“I need to take the shoe off.” The doctor then touched her foot causing her to whimper. She went to grab my hand. He started to pull which made Emma cry out. He stopped pulling and sighed in frustration.

“Swollen. I need to cut the side of the shoe so I can get it off.” Emma started to tremble. 

“Hey” I needed to distract her so she wouldn't move. “It will be alright. Let's think of something positive.” Emma nodded, tears were in her eyes. “W-What do you like to do in the evenings?”

“Read.”

I smiled. Of course, I already knew that. She smiled back at me. I needed to continue.

“What… dresses do you like?” Emma laughed lightly. 

“That's an interesting question?” I shrugged. She sighed. “I love long flowy peach cream dresses, with a ribbon around the waist.” I blinked a couple times not understanding a thing. I glanced at the doctor who took the shoe off. 

“There!” He smiled and set the shoe down. “I'm sure my wife can spare a pair of shoes for you.” He examined her foot again. He softly touched some areas which made Emma flinch.