Chapter 35

Emma

Emma took a deep breath. She needed to die to save everyone else. 

“Emma.” Kayson looked at her. “There has to be another way.” 

Emma shook her head. “This is the only way, Kayson.” Tears stung her eyes. 

“No, no! There has to be another way, there are people here who can't lose you. What of your parents?!” Kayson squeezed her hand. 

Emma shook her head. She reluctantly pulled her hands out of his, and limped out of the house. “We need to find Xander.” she said. 

“Why?” Dr. Cooke asked. “He isn’t the one that will kill the monster.” he stepped up next to Emma. 

“H-He has the crown. E-Emma needs to die with the crown in her hands so the curse will live no longer.” Mother explained. Tears still rolled down her cheeks. 

“I will go find him. Dr. Cooke, come with me. I will need your help.” Father said. 

Dr. Cooke nodded, and he and Father left. 

“How does Emma have to die?” Mrs. Wood asked. “You said she needed to be sacrificed, but by who?” 

“We don't need to worry about that at the moment.” Emma said. She swallowed back a lump of regret. She didn't want to leave Kayson. 

“Emma.” Kayson grabbed her hand and pulled her out of ear shot. “There has to be another way. You can't die.” his eyes brimmed with tears. 

“Kayson, I wish I didn't have to, but there is no other way.” Emma squeezed his hand, hoping to give him as much comfort as she needed. 

“Emma, I-” 

Kayson was interrupted by Father calling them over. 

“Sounds like Father found Xander.” Emma said quietly. 

Kayson nodded, and followed her over to the rest of the group, his hand still in hers. 

Emma let go of Kayson’s hand, and stood in front of Xander. 

Xander snorted. “I would enjoy watching you attempt to defeat me this time. What do you plan to do now?” he asked, smirking. 

“We will show you,” Emma said. “If you will hand me the crown.” 

“What do you plan to do with it? You can't destroy it, it’s a magical item.” Xander said. 

“Hand it over and you shall see.” Emma held her hand out to him. 

Xander studied her. “What do you plan to do with it?” he asked suspiciously. 

“Hold him tight.” Emma instructed. 

Father and Dr. Cooke tightened their grip on Xander. 

“What do you plan to do?” Xander growled. 

“I’m going to kill you, monster.” Emma said.

Realization touched Xander’s face. He tried to escape the gentlemen’s grasp, but they held on too tight. 

Emma reached over and snatched the crown. 

“NO!” Xander screeched. 

Emma turned towards Kayson. The tears were starting to fall now. 

Kayson stared at her in shock. “You want me to kill you?!” he stepped back. 

Emma nodded. 

Kayson shook his head. “No. No, no, no. I can’t.” 

Emma stepped up to him and placed her hand on his cheek. “Kayson. We need to free Xander.” 

“But I can't lose you.” tears rolled down Kayson’s cheeks. 

“I don't want to leave you, Kayson. But it has to be done.” Emma said quietly. 

Kayson shook his head, his eyes never leaving hers. 

“Kayson. There isn't much time left. The curse will transfer back to me, and it will take control of me.” Emma said. She whipped some tears away from his face. 

“Don’t  leave me, Emma. Please.” his voice cracked with sadness. 

Emma didn't like seeing him cry, it hurt her heart. “I will always be with you, Kayson.” she pulled him into an embrace. “We need to save Xander, and everyone else.” 

Kayson started to sob. “I love you, Emma.” he whispered. 

Emma pulled back enough to stay in his arms, and look at his face. “I love you too, Kayson.” the tears fell faster. 

Kayson pulled her closer, and pressed his lips to hers. Warmth flowed through her at the touch. Good bye, Kayson. She closed her eyes. A sharp pain filled her back, and darkness laid over her.