Chapter 37

Emma

Emma opened her eyes, and found she was in Dr. Cooke’s examination room. Dr. Cooke was going through the drawers on the side of the room, and Kayson was pacing next to her. What the? Emma sat up, confusion overwhelming her. 

Kayson stopped his pacing and looked at her. “Emma.” he said breathlessly.

“Kayson?” Emma asked. “What happened?” 

“Y-You dont remember?”

“No, I mean-” Emma placed her hand on her head. “I thought I died.” 

“You did,” Kayson grabbed her hand. “But then the queen showed me what happened to her when she was cursed. She said she would grant me one wish, for freeing her.” he explained. 

“And you wished for me to come back?” Emma asked. 

Kayson nodded. 

Emma smiled. “You really could not let me go, could you?” 

Kayson shook his head. “I love you, Emma. I would not be able to live my life without you.” he kissed her hand. 

Footsteps sounded in the doorway, and Xander walked in. “Emma, you're awake.” 

“And you’re free of the monster.” Emma said. 

“Everyone is.” Kayson said. 

“How are you feeling, Emma?” Xander asked. 

“I am very confused at the moment, on account of being brought back from the dead, but other than that, I feel fine.” Emma shrugged. 

“Careful what you say, Emma.” Dr. Cooke said.  “You still have your stab wound. It is no longer a fatal wound, but it will need time to heal.” 

Emma looked at him, and nodded her understanding. 

Kayson rubbed her hand. "I'm going to go ask my aunt to make you some soup." He smiled at her, then left the room. Dr. Cooke followed after him.

Xander and Emma stayed in the room in silence. 

Xander studied her dress. "That's a nice dress." He complimented. 

"Thanks." Emma looked at the floor. 

Xander cleared his throat. "Have you been staying here long?" He asked awkwardly. 

Emma shook her head. "We have only been here for a couple days." 

Xander seemed to become uncomfortable. "Do you like it here?"

Emma nodded. "It's a cozy house." 

Xander nodded his understanding. "Do you know this family well?" He shifted his position. 

"Not really, but they are related to Kayson." Emma said. 

Xander folded his arms. "Oh… I didn't realize that. I guess I could see a family resemblance." 

Emma nodded. This was a very awkward conversation. What was Xander trying to say? 

Xander cleared his throat again and swallowed audibly. "I- I'm just going to get straight to the point. I understand If you don't want to talk to me. But I just wanted to ask... I was hoping y-you could forgive me." He shifted his position again. 

Emma looked up at him in confusion. "What would I need to forgive you for?" 

"Well…" Xander swallowed again. "For pushing you, a- and for getting upset with you."

Emma looked at him in pity. "It is alright, Xander, we are still friends." 

He shifted his position once more. "D-does this mean we're not more than friends anymore?" He asked quietly. 

Emma paused. How was she supposed to answer that? 

Xander looked at the floor. "I understand… I'm not upset about it. I'm actually quite happy, you and Kayson understand each other and you belong together." 

Emma smiled at him. "Thank you for understanding." She didn't think this conversation would end that way. 

Xander smiled back. 

Dr. Cooke then walked into the room and held out a glass bottle to Emma. "Take these powders before the pain comes. You will feel uncomfortable, but you won't be in pain." He explained. 

Emma took the bottle. "Thank you." She took the powders. 

Kayson knocked on the door and came in with a bowl of soup. "Here, Emma." He handed it out to her. 

Dr. Cooke slapped Xander on the shoulder. "Come with me, sonny. " He led Xander out of the room. 

Emma smiled and gladly took the bowl. "Thank you, Kayson." 

"Anytime, my Love." He smiled.