Mackenzie

I watched as my mom and sister left my room. My mom was only outside for a few minutes, but I still felt super lonely in the bright white hospital room. It didn't help how dizzy I was. Even laying down, my head was spinning a lot.

After my mom came in we cuddled for a bit. Finally the doctor came, and my mom jumped up out of the bed. "Mackenzie Ziegler?" He asked. I nodded. "Well, we did some blood tests and we got a result." He said. "What is it?" My mom said eagerly. "Turns out she has Leukemia." After that word, I thought my life was falling apart. I'd never be able to dance again. I was going to be sick the rest of my life. "She'll have to stay here for some observation time, but then she can go home. She will also have to start chemo. I have another patient I need to go check on, I'll be back soon." With that, the doctor gave a small head nod and left the room. My mom turned around and looked at me. "I'm sorry baby girl." She said as she came over and hugged me.

"Maddie is calling. Do you want to tell her?" My mom asked after a few hours. We mostly just sat in silence. Sometimes I would fall asleep for a few minutes. She was just sitting reading or on her phone while I rested. "Um, sure." I said. I wasn't really sure how Maddie was going to react. My mom picked up the phone. "Hey mom. Where's Kenzie?" She asked right away. "Hi Maddie. And hi Brooke and Paige. And Kenzie is right here." My mom got up and crossed the short bit of floor over to my bed. "Hey Mads. They came and said what's wring with me." I said quietly. "They did?" She asked. "Hold on, why is Mackenzie in the hospital?" Brooke asked. "Oh yeah, you were upstairs when I was explaining," Maddie quickly explained what had happened. "So, what's wrong?" Maddie finished. "I have leukemia." The call was dead silent.

After a couple seconds of silence, Brooke spoke up, pulling everyone out of a trance. "You can't dance." A tear rolled down Maddie's face. That broke my heart, because I know her favorite thing to do with me was dance. At this point, we'd been dancing together for about 10 years. "We need to go. Love you mom. I love you Kenz." I could here the pain in her voice. After saying goodbye Maddie hung up. I could tell she was in pain. I could tell she was scared. Because I was to.