Mackenzie

I woke up to my mom slowly shaking me. "What?" I groaned. "You have chemo today, and the girls are coming to hang out with you during it." My mom said. I rolled back over in my bed. Then it hit me. "I get to go home today?" I yelled. "Yes, and you're extremely lucky for only spending three weeks here." My mom said. I nodded, but I wasn't listening because I was so excited. "Do I get to go back to school?" I yelled. "Not yet, unfortunately." My mom sighed and my excitement disappeared.

"How about you get ready, I'll go get some breakfast." My mom said, walking out of the room. I leaned over and pulled my suitcase out from under my bed. I grabbed dark purple leggings and an ALDC pink crew neck. After getting dressed, I pulled my hair into cute twin braids.

The door opened and my doctor walked through. "Hey Mackenzie. Are you excited for your chemo today?" He asked. "Is anyone ever excited for chemo?" I sighed. "Very funny. But before, you're going to one of our kid meetings. A bunch of kids, in your case, eleven to thrirteen. Room 205, in about twenty minutes, okay?" He said. I nodded and he left.

I decided to leave early, because I was super bored. I started the short walk to the room the meet was in.

When I got there, a really nice nurse that assisted me during my first chemo was there. "Hello Mackenzie! I'm glad to see you here." I nodded and waved. I sat down on a beanbag and pulled out my phone.

Other kids started arriving, and soon the meet started. When I finally looked up, I was shocked.

"Collin?" I asked. "Mackenzie? What are you doing here?" Said the boy next to me. "I... I was diagnosed with cancer." He smiled. "Me too. Last year. Remember I was out for a while? I'm getting my final check up tomorrow, that's why I'm here." He said.

So, maybe I was a little nervous to see Collin. Maybe his deep, dreamy brown eyes and chocolate brown hair were totally gorgeous. Okay, maybe I liked him. But we don't talk about that.

"Mackenzie, Collin, the meeting is almost over. Anything you would like to add?" The nurse asked. Before we knew it, we talked the whole meet. "No, I'm good." Collin said. I shook my head in agreement.

"Bye Collin. I'll see you at school next year." He nodded and gave me a hug. "See you next year."

"Maddie!" I screamed. I kicked my legs in my recliner. I couldn't get up because then I would yank the cord, but I could still act excited. I mean, I hadn't seen my sister, my best friend in three weeks. "Kenzie!"

I looked around at the girls. "I'm so happy to see you guys." I told them. "We are so excited. School was so lonely without you!" Kendall yelled. "I bet." I laughed. "I've been staying with the Hylands."