ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴀꜱᴛᴇ ᴏꜰ ɪɴꜱᴀɴɪᴛʏ (𝘟𝘪𝘢𝘰 𝘹 𝘙𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘳)

(A request by @Bokuto-san8906 ! I hope you enjoy reading this <3 Thank you so much for requesting!!)

'Destroy it all,' They whispered, fury swirling in their voices as they waltzed dangerously inside her mind. 'Eliminate all threats.'

(Name) shook her head frantically, suppressing the deadly urge to summon her spear. But they persisted more than ever, it wasn't ever that bad. Today was only supposed to be a day to get rid of hillichurl camps with Xiao. Oh, Xiao. She became more alert of her surroundings, as well as the gentle crunching of the grass beneath the other yaksha's feet, slowly approaching her.

Slowly approaching her.

"NO!" She finally lashed out, trying to focus on the figure in front of her. "Do not come any closer."

He seemed to be telling her something, worriedly. But it only landed on deaf ears, the souls of the damned thrashed within the confinements of her mind. If only they'd make it stop, she pleaded. The want to give in, to just give up and to let them take reign of her vessel. It could be that easy, she wouldn't need to fight.

Her eyes widened. He came closer.

"No," She murmured, clutching her head. Her voice raspy as she summoned her spear, "Must eliminate all living beings."

She fell to her knees, the overwhelming sense of pure insanity circulating through her body as she plunged her spear to the ground with a deathly grip. A feeble attempt to grasp the fleeting sense of reality. They were calling. They were loud. Louder than anything.

It hurt.

The memories of those innocent lives she stole away with a swift oscillation of her sword without hesitation or a tinge of sympathy.

The pain was unbearable.

An ear-piercing scream left her, fire sprouting from her being. She hoped the familiar smell of smoke invading her lungs would keep her grounded as the blazing orange flames licked the surface around her hungrily. But it was all in vain as she rose from the ground, her sword ready in her hand.

The desire to wreak havoc grew quickly, to the point where she could finally lash out. She chuckled; it was just too laughable. The pain, her emotions and her finally freely inviting the souls to feed upon her sanity. All of this in front of her beloved adeptus. 

She caught the movement of a silhouette flitting above and across the raging fire. The wind being strong enough to extinguish the flames.

"[Name]! You must gain control before it is too late!" Oh, his voice. It was euphonious to her ears, the concern in his voice so very endearing.

She wanted to reach out to him, but she had already drowned too deep to answer his calls.

"One must obliterate all opponents," (Name) snarled at him, swinging her sword at him. "Not even you shall be spared, Alatus."

Her spear clashed with his, the dull sound lingered in his ears. Her face held a grim expression as their weapons continuously clanged, her eyes emblazoned with insanity. He had to get her to snap out of it. Fast.

"[Name], remember who you are." He kept his voice calm, like he how he was always trained to. Yet again, his words had fell on deaf ears.

He couldn't manage to get another word out as she rapidly slashed at him with her flaming spear.

Spirals of anemo and pyro danced together across the field as he dodged her constant attacks. She was fast but so was he. It was a battle of speed and stamina. Xiao used that to his advantage, attempting to wear her out as she kept facing him head-on with all her strength with every hit. She did not care. No, she wasn't thinking. It wasn't her.

The flames roared against the pushing weight of the wind; the smoke hovering around made it harder to locate her. Focus, he breathed. He concentrated, relying on sound as he held up his guard. His eyes widened like saucers at the fast pitter-patter of shoes headed in his direction with inhumane speed, behind him.

Their spears had clashed, the glimmering gold traced on her spear glared daggers at him. She was so close, so very close to press her spear against his throat. Her eyes gleamed dangerously; it wasn't her. He kept reminding himself. The way she fought was different. She is far more calculating and precise rather than pure ruthlessness with such simple-minded thinking.

She began to push. Xiao grunted, pushing back to keep the sharp material of her spear away from his throat. She let out a guttural growl at his persistence. Her adeptal strength was admirable, it made him proud to fight alongside such a strong warrior. Neither of them budged. He couldn't fight her properly without fatally injuring her.

Stay calm, he told himself.

"Remember who you are." Xiao breathed out slowly, emphasising each word. His honeyed eyes looked deep into hers, watching the realisation flood her eyes. It finally clicked to her, like the missing piece of a puzzle was finally placed.

"Who I am?" She questioned; the strong, deadly flames faded into embers on the tip of her spear. "I am..."

[Name], protector of Liyue. She took in a deep breath, savouring the sweet taste of reality. The yelling of the damned soothed into whispers. Her arm dropped, her weapon dispersing into gold glimmers then into nothing.

She was so tired.

Her body felt like lead, light-headedness seeping into her being. She managed a small smile at her lover who seemed to be more relieved than her. They both gazed fondly at each other as she spoke, her voice croaky with pure tiredness.

"Thank you, Xiao."

At last, he had cracked a smile at her, both of them idly standing.

"Anytime." He nodded, "Are you injured? How do you feel?"

She wanted to reply but exhaustion was winning as she attempted to fight against it, the invitation to fall into a deep sleep was so tempting. But, before she knew it, her knees had buckled.

However, she did not touch the ground.

Xiao caught her swiftly, a hand tucked under her knees and the other underneath her back. Her head knocked against his chest, her body relaxed and breathing. She was alive and healthy. Again, the corners of his lips quirked upwards. That was all that mattered to him. He sighed to himself and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, her lips lingering for a second before he pulled back. Then, their figures disappeared into charcoal and forest-green smoke. He only hoped it didn't happen again anytime sooner. 

(THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 17K VIEWS EVERYONE!! I'M SO HAPPY, I WAS SUPPOSED TO DO A 10K SPECIAL BUT I WAS SO BUSY! SO, I AM GOING TO POST SEVERAL FICS AS A THANK YOU FOR READING!! THANK YOU SO MUCH 😭💗)