𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

"𝙙𝙞𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙙𝙤𝙬𝙣"

𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨

𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨...

𝙝𝙤𝙩 𝙧𝙤𝙙 - 𝙙𝙖𝙮𝙜𝙡𝙤𝙬

♪ 𝙝𝙤𝙩 𝙧𝙤𝙙 - 𝙙𝙖𝙮𝙜𝙡𝙤𝙬 ♪

TENSIONS WERE HIGH AT THE CHATEAU. All of the Pogues were scattered throughout the surf shack in the backyard, an awkward silence covering them, only punctured by the occasional tapping of Kiara's hands on her bongo drums. Pope had located his focus solely on the book in his hand, John B had been pacing back and forth in a nervous pattern, and JJ had secluded himself to a small table a few feet away in the grass. He sat on the rusty surface, harshly throwing rocks towards the marsh, his gaze steering clear of his friends. Blue watched from her spot next to Kiara with a frown etched on her sun-kissed face.

She could tell JJ was sitting on that edge, the one where he was anticipating a fight or an argument to break out at any given moment. His jaw was clenched, his mouth set in a thin line, his brows pinched and eyes slightly narrowed. As he threw pebble after pebble, his leg bounced up and down repeatedly, his anxiety making yet another appearance. She wanted to reach out to him, calm him down, but she also wanted to stick by her brother's side. It was a rare thing for her to stand by John B instead of JJ, but this was something she had to do. She had to make sure her and her brother were safe.

"Look, I'm callin' it off. All right?" John B's voice sounded out, breaking the long-lived silence while gaining everyone's attention. All eyes were on him as he spoke. "Peterkin said, if we stay out of the marsh, she'll help us with DCS." He motioned to Blue.

The girl looked at JJ, noticing his humorless smile and the roll of his eyes. She knew he wouldn't like their little adventure being cut short. If there was any chance that the Grady White contained something valuable, JJ would want to get his hands on it. Not just for himself, but for his friends, too. She knew he saw it as a saving grace, and she understood that.

But when the Sheriff comes knocking at your door and tells you that all you have to do to avoid foster care is stay away from a boat, you stay away from the goddamn boat.