𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡

"𝙢𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙖𝙜𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙗𝙤𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚"

𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨...

𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙞𝙩 - 𝙘𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙮 𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙨𝙚 ♪

♪ 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙞𝙩 - 𝙘𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙮 𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙨𝙚 ♪

THE MAYBANK HOUSEHOLD WAS INTIMIDATING IN NATURE. While not big in size, it was still daunting, giving the allure of a haunted house despite the summer sun cascading down upon the withered exterior. Everything was in shades of gray and brown, no hint of color anywhere. The inside was cluttered with trash and empty beer cans and various stolen knick knacks while the lawn outside was covered in tools and unfinished motors and, well, more beer cans. It lacked warmth and safety and stability. It didn't feel like a home at all.

Blue tried not to pull any sad or concerned faces as JJ walked her and Pope through the house and out to the back porch. Knowing JJ's home life and its hidden tragedies were one thing; having to catch a glimpse of it in broad daylight was another.

"Excuse the mess," JJ said, his voice carrying that tone of humor that was fabricated in order to hide his discomfort. "We can go sit outside until the criminals come back."

The blond boy grabbed a half-empty case of beer before leading them to the backyard. Pope and Blue shared worried glances to each other when their friend wasn't looking. Their shared anxiety was halfway caused by the fear that Luke - JJ's dad - could pop up at any given moment, and halfway caused by concern for the blond. It was clear that bringing them to his home was not something he enjoyed, and they knew he was only doing it because John B said to.

"Do you think they're alright?" Blue asked, deciding to steer the conversation towards her brother and Kiara in order to avoid any awkward sentiments.

Pope shrugged. "Can't kill a Pogue."

JJ nodded, "Word." He said in agreement as he raised a beer towards the boy.

Blue sighed, not being able to shake the feeling that John B found the trouble he had been searching for in that lighthouse. The arrival of the police only confirmed her heightened intuition. "What if they didn't get out in time?" She wondered out loud. "If he gets arrested, it'll alert DCS, and we'll be gone by tomorrow." She couldn't help but voice her paranoia as the fearful thoughts came to her in waves too big to be ignored.