Chapter 3

Leah's POV

There are people outside living their life, facing fluctuations. But not as often as I do. My life fluctuates every minute. I want peace in my life. Is there any place where I can live peacefully without disturbing my life?

When I say I wanna live a life, I mean "life"!

Some people don't comprehend this thing. People who got a better life don't know how to live it. I would have done many things only if I had a "better life" to live. Unlike others who go around and start bitching about others, fighting, and violence. I don't like this. I hate these types of people. So what am I doing in a mafia family?

My mother had no idea where else to go. So yes, we're residing here just for a few months because I've decided that when I become a perfect artist, I'll sell my art to make some money to become wholly independent and give my mother a better life and to myself. A life I crave to live.

I'm sitting on a stool holding a paintbrush and a palette and painting a beautiful scenery on the canvas in my room. "Finally, we're settled somewhere" My mother says while placing clothes in the wardrobe. I don't respond. "Look at these beautiful gowns Mrs Elsher lent us for the ball" She says. I pause and turn back to my book. "Don't you feel weird?" I finally ask, frustrated.

"About what, honey?" She asks in return. "As far I know, we could have managed to buy dresses for ourselves. No matter if it would be cheap, at least we would have purchased it with our coffers" I mutter and turn away. "So you mean she lent us these only to make us realize that they are way wealthier than us? " My mother says. "No, no, no, that's not what I meant; I mean that I don't want to be dependent on somebody for anything, even for these gowns" I say and mix two colors on the palette with the help of a paintbrush.

My mother scoffs and walks out of the room. I didn't say anything wrong. I mean, what's wrong with being independent? Anyway.

After a few minutes, I close all the drawing and painting stuff in the blue case and stare at my hands. They are covered in color, so I need to wash them. I approach the bathroom and wash my hands at the sink. My mother hasn't returned yet. I assume she might be busy with Mrs.Elsher since she has been hired as her maid.

I dry my hands with a towel and walk out of the bathroom. I remember the boy I met at the library after my eyes land the book which I brought from the library. I remember the way he talked to me. I didn't even ask him who he was. Wait...what if he was one of the mafias? Because he looked like one.

I walk out of the room and wander in the corridor. I plan to go into the garden for fresh air, but before my plan can succeed, Mrs.Elsher and a maid holding a small tray with a cup in her hands caught sight of me in the corridor. "Hey girl, come here" Mrs Elsher says, and I approach her. "Will you do me a favor, dear?" She asks in a kind tone. "Yeah, sure, it will be an honor to help you" I say, pursing my lips. "Thanks, I wouldn't have asked you for this, but I'm in a hurry, and I want Melody to come with me. I want you to give this cup of coffee to my son Ares; he is right now in his training room on the ground floor" She says with a smile. Melody, She's talking about the maid behind her. Anyway, I shake my head and hold the tray in my hand.

I walk away with the small tray on which the cup of coffee is placed. By the way, I haven't seen her son; I know a little about him. I heard from people that he is the next mafia leader of Europe. Like his father, he is cold, ruthless, relentless, and short-tempered. Well, god knows if it's true or not.

Anyway, I descend the stairs to the ground floor and towards the room Mrs Elsher told me her son is in. Now to show some respect, I first knock on the door.

"Come in" Someone says, permitting me to come inside. I open the door and step inside. And what I saw left me perplexed. The guy whom I met at the library is Ares. The son of Alfred Elsher. He is the next mafia leader of Europe. We both were a few steps away from each other. There is a boxing ring behind him and a wooden bench on which a towel and a water bottle are placed. There is a table on which a box and a few knives were placed.

He narrows his brows suspiciously as if I'm a spy. "You- I wanna give you this cup of coffee"I cut him off and say quickly. He shakes his head. "Put it on the table" He orders. I slowly take steps toward the table. As I place it there, I look at him again. He is covering his right with a white bandage; it seems like he has hand injury. He groans as he can't cover his hand correctly.

Should I help him?

"You want some help?" I mutter. He glances at me. "Can you?" He asks, and I shake my head. I walk towards him and grab his injured hand. I expected him to say, "I don't need any help" but he didn't. Therefore, it proves that we should not believe everything people say.

I cover his hand with the bandage while he stares at me. "So, how did you get hurt?" I ask, without making any eye contact. "Uh...I was practicing with knives and got injured" He says. He is pretty daring, and I like it.

As I'm done wrapping his hand with the bandage. He tries to clench his fist twice to ensure the application remains intact.

"Well, thanks" He says softly and moves towards the table to grab his cup of coffee.
I shake my head and make my way towards the door. He isn't that bad. I take a deep breath after coming out of the room. I don't know why. But I forgot how to breathe when he stood right before me. This had never happened before.

Since I did what Mrs Elsher told me to do, I could go out in the garden and inhale some fresh air.

_______________________________

The garden is tremendous, decorated with different flowers, and has two beautiful fountains. Gosh, I love this place so much.

"I haven't seen you before here" Someone's voice sneers from behind. I turn. A girl with blond hair stood a few steps away from me. Her both hands on her hips and staring at me as if I am a criminal. "Uhh.....yeah I'm-I'm new here" I hesitate, not because I am nervous but the way she is looking at me. "What's your name?" She enquires, folding her arms to her chest and taking a few steps forward. "Leah" I answer.

"So Leah, you work as a maid here?" She enquires again. "No, but my mother does" I mutter. She gives me an unimpressed look. "I saw you were going into Ares' training room, and I even saw you were bandaging his hand" She spoke irritably. "So? What's your point?" I ask, resting my hands on my hips and tilting my head slightly. "That....you better stay away from my man, okay? I know you're trying to tame him by demonstrating how much you care; however, I won't let you do that" She glowers.

What? That doesn't make any sense.

"And why would I do that?" I raise my brows. "Because he's attractive, he's hot?" She shrugs carelessly. Her love for Ares is full of lust. I don't utter a word because it's useless. Whatever she said doesn't make sense.

She rolls her eyes and walks away. I hate that girl. She's miserable, and I pity that person she'll marry because she will bring misery into his life.

Stupid.

Her awful demeanor ruined my whole mood. I should go back to my room.