Chapter 22

It's been three hours, and I still hold Leah in my arms, yet I don't get bored. In fact, I'm satisfied. Why?

Because she's with me, in front of my eyes, she's safe. Every single time she isn't with me, I feel restless, honestly. The thoughts that hover in my mind are 'Is she okay?'. 'Should I go and check on her to satisfy myself?'. And especially what my father did to her makes me more concerned about her.

Suddenly Leah flinches. I glance at her; she lifts her head from my chest and gazes at me. "Ares y-"She pauses as soon as she realizes that I'm still holding her in my arms. She quickly gets off me. "Ares, I'm so sorry.....you must have got tired of holding me.....why didn't you wake me up?" She asks. "Wow, calm down Rose, it's alright. In fact, I can hold you in my arms forever and never let you go" I flirt causing her to smile. Dimples appear on her cheeks as she smiles wide.

"My dimple girl" I wink at her. She giggles and then glances at the clock. "It's 8 pm already now. I don't think I'll be able to sleep anymore" She says as she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "So.....do you want me to do the same that I did to you last night?" I smirk at her. "Thanks, but I'm on my period if you remember" She rolls her eyes and simultaneously smiles.

She walks into the washroom while I lean against the headboard. I wait for her to come out. Until then, I look around at the walls of her room which are painted sea green. Suddenly, my eyes land on her journal, which is on the table lamp right next to me. I wonder what she writes in it. Did she mention me in it or not?

I'm curious to read it.

I grab her journal but before I can even open it a picture slips from it and falls on the floor. I place the journal on the table lamp again and bend my back to grab the picture. I flip it.

I observe in the picture that few girls and boys wear fancy dresses, which are usually worn at annual functions. I glance at each of them, starting with the girls as I expect to find Leah. Yes, I found her. She's wearing a pink dress and her hair is tied in a beautiful bun. She looks the most beautiful among all the girls. She's looking younger than she is now, so.....she might be fifteen at that time.

Wait a minute......Who is this guy?

He is standing behind Leah and staring at her with a crocky smile. He looks eccentric and suspicious. He has icy blue eyes, dark brown hair, and pale skin.

No, I don't have any personal problem with this guy but why the hell is he staring at my girl like that?!!

Leah walks out of the washroom. I glance at her. She notices the picture I'm holding in my hands. "What are you looking at?" She asks. I flip the picture "I got your childhood picture" I tell her. "It slipped from your journal" I add to my statement. She approaches me and climbs on the bed and sits next to me. She grabs the picture and stares at it. "Ohhh......yes it was annual day that time" She tells me. "And we all were supposed to perform something, and then all the students of my class took a picture together, including me" She says and glances at me.

"Alright now tell me who's this guy and why is he staring at you like that?" I ask as I point my finger at him. She glances at the picture again. She gives such a reaction that is unreadable. "This...."She mutters. "Yes, who is this guy?" I ask again curiously. "Uhh......I don't remember him" She says. "You sure?" I stare at her. "Yes I don't" She stares back. I blink at her a few times.

"Rose, are you hiding something from me?" I frown my eyebrows suspiciously. "What...no I'm not....why would I?" She chuckles. I don't say anything further and shake my head.

The way she made an unreadable expression caused me to think that she was hiding something. And I still think she is. But I don't want to force her to say it because she might get annoyed and moreover my plan of taking her on the late-night date might get spoiled. So it's good for me to keep my mouth shut.

But I won't forget that guy's crocky smile.

"Okay now let's have dinner" I tell her. "Yes let's go" She grins as she gets off her bed and so do I.

_________________________________

Leah's POV:

I can't believe that I lied. I lied to Ares. And I won't be able to forgive myself for this. He has so much faith in me and what I did do. I feel as if I'm playing with his feelings. God, I hate myself so much. But I had no other choice.

Yes, I lied about the guy he asked me about. I know him. I know him very well, and I hate him so much. I won't forget what he did to me. His name is Lewis.

I didn't tell Ares about him because I knew what the consequences would be like. Lewis is a psychopath. He was madly in love with me, but I hated him because of the personality he carried with him. He always made me feel uncomfortable. His love was full of lust. He used to force himself on me. He literally made my life hell until I reached the age of seventeen. Now I wonder what Ares would react like if I told him about Lewis' dirty stuff.

I know Ares will definitely get pissed off and will wish to kill him at any cost. He's strong enough. But I don't want to spoil our peace. I love Ares, and I'm happy with him, very much. So I don't want any kind of disturbance in our relationship. And I know that Lewis' topic will definitely bring violence because Ares is very possessive about me.

I open the door of my room and take a step inside before turning to Ares. He stares at me with a slight smile on his face. "Good night" I tell him. "See you tomorrow" He says and leans in to kiss me. "Bye" I giggle as we break the kiss. He walks, and I close the door.

I open my hair, remove the clip, and place it on the dressing table. I change my clothes and climb onto the bed. Now I'll be overthinking all night about Lewis. I wonder where he is right now. If he is still in Denmark or not. Has he forgotten me or not? I wish he has.

But I'm still scared. What if Ares asked me again about him?Because the look he gave me when I said that I didn't know him seemed as if he wasn't satisfied with my answer.

Anyway, let's see what happens tomorrow. I reach for the table lamp and turn it off. I pull the bed sheet up to my chest and try to sleep even though I don't feel sleepy because I guess I slept all day.

____________________________

Guys my exams are going on so the story is on hold and I'll start posting new chapters from 23rd May......

And yes....thank you for 31k+ reads 💙