Chapter 35

I rub my eyes using my thumb and index finger after hurling the cigar into my nearby dustbin. I sigh heavily and place the book gently on my study table before glimpsing at the clock. 2 am and I haven't slept yet. But what was I supposed to do? The book was so good that I didn't even realize the time was running out.

"A Path to Wisdom" is the best book I have ever read in my entire life. I better buy books which are analogous to this one.

I'm about to stand up from the chair when I heard some noise coming from another room. I frown confusingly as I get up and stride towards the door and slightly open it. I peek out.

It's coming from Leah's room.

Shit.

I walk out and approach her room, making sure that I won't wake others. After opening the door, I observe her tossing on the bed and uttering something to herself. She's presumably having a nightmare. I close the door and switch on the lights.

"Rose" I call out as I crawl onto the bed. Suddenly she pulls herself up gasping, sweating and panting. She glances at me yet she isn't comfortable in fact, more frightened.

"A...Ares..." She stutters and sobs at the same time as she holds my arm making sure that I don't leave her. "Hey hey, what's wrong" I cup her face and brush away the hair from her face. She doesn't say anything but wails and hugs as if it was our last day on earth and she didn't want to leave.

I caress her hair trying to calm her down. She's so terrified that she isn't even able to breathe properly. Which makes me more inquisitive about her dream.

"Ares...y...you will bring me back if somebody tried to take me away from you, right?" She sniffles. I stare at her. Surprised and confused.

"And who is this 'somebody'?" I raise my eyebrows. She scans my whole body before answering my question.

"My...father" She mutters.

"And that worthless person will snatch you? From me?" I ask, unimpressed.

"M..maybe" She takes my hands in hers.

I let out a sigh and then look around before looking at her again.

"You don't trust me" I ask in a soft voice.

"Yes I do" She mutters.

"What did you see in your dreams, Rose?" I ask. She pauses and then speaks.

"As usual, my father was...about to beat me with...with his belt like...I was screaming for help I...I was screaming your name..." She says, in a sobbing tone.

"Hey hey hey...but I'm here now. No one can even dare to touch you until I'm breathing" I assure her as I wipe out her tears.

"Tonight...stay with me Ares please" She begs. "Sure" I smile slightly and get off the bed. Then I turn off the lights, walking back to her. I crawl onto the bed again and slip under the blanket.

"Come here" I utter as I lay my arm letting her rest her head on it. She snuggles into my chest. On one side I caress her hair and on the other hand, I rest my other arm on my forehead.

Foremost, I was already frustrated by my father's actions and now her father. Now because of that, I can't even think to let Leah disappear from my sight. Not for a second.

I'm not scared of anyone. But I'm scared for her.

No no no no no no.

I won't let anything happen to her. She's safe with me. She considers my arms her safest place. She considers me her home. She considers me her everything.

"I love you my extraordinary, diplomatic, exquisite Rose" I whisper to her after changing my sleeping position and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Don't let this world let you down. You are potent. Remember" I whisper again and kiss her forehead.

____________________________________

The sound of alarm awakes me. I turn it off because it sounds aggravating. Then I glance at the clock, it's  6 am. Gotta go for exercise. Before I could even spring out of bed I look next to me. Leah's head resting on my chest.

Fuck. She's sleeping so peacefully that I think it would be a sin to move and make her awake.

Why is she looking so fucking beautiful??

Alright, I don't move. I don't care if my workout and training get missed. She's my first priority.

For literally one hour I remain in the same position. Until I feel her flinch slightly.

She opens her eyes and glances at me.

"Hey sleepyhead" I wink at her making her blush as she lifts her head from my chest. A dimpled smile plastered on her face.

She peeks at the clock.

"Ares it's 7 am. You didn't go for your training?" She asks as she ties her hair in a bun.

"Training? What's that?" I stare at her, resting my side head on my palm. She laughs. "You know what" She chuckles. "I sense Zion delights you better than I do" She says.

I frown confusingly.

"So don't you think he deserves to see your this side?" She asks.

"What side?" I raise my eyebrows.

"The one that is only visible to me" She grins.

"He knows it Rose" I tell her.

"Seriously? I have never seen you talking nicely to him" She rolls her eyes. That doesn't mean I don't like him.

"So you want me to kiss him?" I grimace.

"That's not what I meant" She scoffs.

"I mean...be nice to him as well" She says.

"Okay okay, I'll try" I say to her satisfaction.

"What really?!"

I glimpse at the door. Shit. Zion is standing at the doorframe. His eyes widen with excitement.

"I was kidding! I was kidding! I was kidding" I shake my head.

He jogs inside and grabs my hand kissing it non-stop.

"Stop it" I yank my hand and wipe it with the blanket. "Stupid" I utter to myself.