Chapter 48

"Micheal and Navy are about to get married within a few months" I inform Leah.

"Really?" Her eyes widen.

I can't say if she's surprised or disappointed like me.

"Too soon" She mutters. Yes, she's disappointed.

It's quite alarming to see how young they both are and how they've made such a big decision without any hesitation. It's hard to believe that it's their own will. It would have been better if they had taken some time to get to know each other and build a stronger bond before tying the knot so soon. Rushing into marriage isn't always the best idea, especially when it comes to creating a solid foundation for a lifelong commitment.

Anyway, why I am worried about their situation when ultimately it is their choice and responsibility?

"Hope they aren't forced" Leah says.

"Absolutely not" I scoff as I take out a pack of cigars from my pocket and a lighter.

Before I can even take out a cigarette, Leah swiftly snares the packet from me. "No smoking Mr Ares".

"Just one, please Rose" I request. She shakes her head as a no.

"You know, I wouldn't want to see such a beautiful face damaged by those toxic fumes" She flirts as she instantly stands up from her place and sits on my lap. I wrap my arms around her waist.

"So you think I'm beautiful?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Maybe I do. But that doesn't change the fact that smoking is bad for you" She smiles wider while tracing my jawline with her fingers.

Her concern touches me in a way I hadn't expected. I know she is right, but old habits die hard, and it isn't easy to quit. Instead of getting defensive, I decided to take a different approach.

"You're right, Rose. But it's not just smoking that's harmful" I say, letting a teasing tone lace my words. Her brow furrows, slightly baffled by my response. "What do you mean?".

I run my fingers beneath her top making her heart throb in her chest.

"Being around someone as beautiful as you could be hazardous to my heart" I admit, my voice a low whisper.

Her cheeks flush, and she tries to hide her smile, but the sparkle in her eyes gives her away. "Ares, you can't just flirt your way out of this" she says playfully, but her words hold a hint of amusement.

I smirk as my gaze locks on her lips.

I stand up from the chair and lift Leah in my arms. She giggles.

"Where are you taking me?" She asks as she laughs.

I vacate the bar room along with her and stroll through the corridor, approaching my room. Then I fling open the door and shut it with my foot.

I throw her on the bed and climb next to her.

"Why did you bring me here?" She glances at me.

"You said you wanted to have some chit chat" I say as I change my position of lying. My side head resting on the palm of my hand as I gaze at Leah.

She blinks twice and then laughs. Her laughter echoes in the room, and I can't help but be mesmerised by the melodic sound. It is like a symphony of joy, and every note resonates deep within me.

"You know what Rose? You have the most enchanting laugh. It's like the sweetest melody that brings harmony to my soul" I say, my voice barely a whisper. She blushes, the colour spreading across her cheeks like a gentle sunrise.

"Okay, stop it Ares" She replies, playfully nudging my arm.

"I'm serious, It's one of the many things that make you absolutely captivating" I say, smiling fondly at her.

Leah's laughter subsides, and her eyes meet mine, filled with a mix of amusement and affection. "You really know how to charm a girl, don't you?" she says, teasingly.

I chuckle, shifting a little closer to her. "Well, when I'm around someone as breathtaking as you, charm comes naturally" I admit, trying to keep my tone light but sincere. She rolls her eyes, but there is a glimmer of appreciation in them. "You're quite the smooth talker, aren't you?" She says, raising an eyebrow.

"Only when I'm inspired" I reply, reaching out to tuck a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. "And you, Rose, you inspire me in ways I can't even put into words".

Her smile softens, and she gently strokes my cheek, savouring the intimacy of the moment. "You know, you're not so bad yourself" she says, her voice gentle.

I grin, feeling the warmth spread through me at her compliment.

She changes her position, now staring up at the ceiling and her both hands resting on her stomach. A few minutes of peaceful silence occur in the room.

"Ares...Do you think I'm weak?" She asks her voice ting with uncertainty. "Rose, no, never," I reply earnestly. "You are anything but weak".

I can see the doubt lingering in her eyes, so I continue, wanting to assure her of the strength I see within her. "You have a kind and compassionate heart. You care deeply for others, and you always strive to do what's right. That's not weakness; that's a rare strength that many people lack".

Her lips curl into a small smile, but the vulnerability remains. "I guess I just worry sometimes that I'm not strong enough to handle everything that life throws at me" she admits as she turns her position to face me.

"Now take my father as an example and...my mother and...and Lewis" She stares into my eyes.

I lean in closer, my voice filled with sincerity. "Those were challenges and you faced them with courage and resilience".

I can see the weight of her worries starting to ease, but I want her to truly believe in herself. "I admire the way you never give up, even when things get tough. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for" I say.

Leah's eyes shimmer with emotion, and I squeeze her hand gently, wanting to offer my support in any way I can. "And you know, you don't have to be strong all the time" I add, my voice softening. "It's okay to have moments of vulnerability. It's what makes us human, and it's what allows us to lean on others for support when we need it".

She takes a deep breath, the tension in her shoulders visibly easing. I smile warmly, wanting her to feel reassured and cherished. "You don't have to be perfect, Rose. None of us is" I say gently. "But you are perfect just the way you are - strong, kind, and capable of so much more than you realize".

Her smile grows, and I can see a newfound sense of belief in herself. It fills me with happiness to know that I could help her see the incredible person she is.

I lean in, kissing her nose and then pull myself back.

"Wanna watch a film?" I ask.

"Yes!!" She grins.

"Which one?" I ask again. "Umm...Let's watch Casablanca" She says excitingly.

"You like old films?" I raise my eyebrows. She nods.

"Alright" I utter and then get up from the bed to turn on the LCD which is fixed to the wall right before my bed. I grab the remote, turn the LCD on and then play the film.

I climb back on the bed and lean against the headboard. I glance at Leah. She's already into the film with full concentration.

Nevermind.