Chapter 47

Ares' POV :

As I storm into the living room, my heart pounds in my chest, and my mind swirls with a potent mix of rage and pain. 

As I enter the room, I am immediately met with a sight that fills me with rage. My father, sitting comfortably on the couch, exudes an air of superiority that makes my blood boil. And Adonis, only adds insult to injury. On my right, my mother and Mr Grayson stand together, deep in conversation. Mr Grayson holds a notepad and pen, dutifully jotting down my mother's words as she speaks. The tension in the room is palpable, and I can feel my anger rising with each passing moment.

I assume it's something regarding the marriage of my brother.

"Why the fuck do you have to do this?" I snarl catching everyone's attention in the living room.

"Ares, what's wrong?" My mother asks in a calming way.

"Why are you asking me? Ask your husband what's wrong with him?" I say furiously.

"Ares" My mother hisses.

"You know what? Your fellow is dead. Leah's father whom you lent money for kidnapping her. I killed him" I say as I take a few steps forward. My eyes lock onto my father's. The man who was supposed to protect me, to love me unconditionally.

Uhg...What the hell am I even saying?

He had shattered that trust a long time ago. The scars, both visible and invisible, are a constant reminder of the pain I have endured under my father's reign.

Adonis chuckles, attempting to appear unfazed, but I can see the unease in his eyes. "You're making a big mistake, Ares. Your father's not someone you want as an enemy" He says as he glances at my father.

I blink. Unimpressed.

"You know what Adonis? You two are hardly worth the air you breathe" I say as I grit my teeth. His crocky smile fades away quickly as soon as my words reach his ears.

"You know what I mean right?" I say.

Turning back to my father, I feel a surge of memories and emotions rush through me. The nightmarish images of Leah's tear-streaked face and her desperate cries for help flooded my mind, igniting the inferno of rage even further.

"You ruined everything!" I growl, my voice raw with emotion. "You destroyed her, and you destroyed any semblance of a family we had. But I won't let you continue to control me or anyone else in my life!".

 He scoffs, attempting to downplay the gravity of his actions. "Yes. Whatever happened to Leah is because of me. What are you going to do? Kill me?" He laughs. "Most probably if you don't stop with your bullshit" I glare at him. 

He smirks as he gets up from the couch and approaches me. 

"Well, then it will be fun. I'll attempt to snatch her from you and you attempt to kill me" He whispers in my ear as he grabs my collar.

"But I know you will fail...because you are weak. Always playing the role of a victim in your entire life" He says cheekily.

 I tremble with fury, but I refuse to let my father's words wound me further. Instead, I muster my strength and take a deep breath, finding a reservoir of determination within myself.

"Well, not anymore" I say.

"Alright, son" He chuckles evilly and then leaves the room along with Adonis.

I turn back, observing my mother and Mr Grayson's facial expression. They are speechless.

____________________________________________

  As I sit alone in the aftermath of the confrontation in the bar. At the counter and have some drinks. My father's malicious challenge echoes in my mind like a venomous serpent. The mere thought of my father trying to snatch Leah from me again sends a wave of seething anger and protectiveness through my veins. I can't let that happen; I won't allow my father to ruin another precious part of my life.

My mind races with thoughts of how to protect Leah from my father's grasp. I know I have to be strategic and proactive to ensure her safety and well-being. But what can I do?

Keep an eye on Leah every time to make sure she is fine or should I strengthen the security measures around my home?

But a part of me is worried that my father might still find a way to hurt Leah indirectly. He is manipulative and cunning and I know I have to be one step ahead. I know that it won't be easy, and there will be obstacles along the way, but I am willing to face them all to keep Leah safe.

I drink my last glass of beer in one go when the door of the bar room suddenly flings open and Leah walks in shutting the door behind her. She's wearing a white crop top revealing her slim stomach slightly and black jeans.

"Didn't the doctor tell you not to walk much for a few days?" I say when she sits next to me.

"I'm fine. And by the way, I wouldn't have come if you would have come to my room and sat with me and have some chit chat" She rolls her eyes.

I sigh.

"I'm sorry" I mutter as I stroke her cheek gently. 

"It's okay" She murmurs as she stares at her injured hand and the bruise around her wrist which has turned slightly yellowish.

"Does it still hurts?" I ask taking that hand in mine and observing it carefully.

She shakes her head as a no. I pull the revolving chair she's sitting on near to me.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I lift her face by her chin.

She doesn't speak a word but her eyes. I know what she wants to say.

"Leah...I'm so sorry you had to go through that-- Stop blaming yourself" She mutters, placing her index finger on my lips and not letting me complete the sentence.

"You were always there for me when I needed you. That's enough for me" She says while cupping my face.

I feel a mix of emotions swell within me – sadness for the pain she has endured, anger at her abusive father for putting her through such trauma, and an overwhelming sense of love for this resilient woman before me.

I would move mountains to keep her safe.

She smiles slightly. She leans in and presses her forehead against mine.

"I love you, Ares" She murmurs, her voice filled with sincerity and vulnerability.

"I love you too, baby" I utter.

With our hearts now intertwined, I know that our love will be the beacon that guides us through the darkest of times. Together, we can heal the wounds of the past and build a future filled with love, trust, and happiness. I will always be her protector, her guardian, and her champion, ready to stand against any adversity that threatened to harm her.