Chapter 13

After dinner all the family sits down in the living room in various places, Rosé and I squashed into the armchair by the fire, and my family seems completely enamored by Rosé. They asked her questions about her life, where she grew up, what her parents do and even I learn a few things. I listen intently, making sure to note every single tidbit of information down that I didn't know-although there isn't a lot because Rosé's my best friend so I basically know everything, duh-and I smile and subtly urge her on with a dip of my head and a warm smile when she glances at me, scared that she's talking too much.

I don't think she could every talk too much.

Though soon enough, my younger cousins are dropping off against their parents shoulders and I'm about two seconds away from tearing Theo a new one as I've actually caught him drooling once or twice, and so my mom claps her hands and says it's time for bed. I kind of feel like a teenager, but I have to admit I'm a little tired and so Rosé and I let my aunt and uncle put my youngest cousins to bed, then my elder ones, before Rosé and I head on up.

Our hands bump on the way up the stairs, and we steal shy glance at one another out the corners of my eye as we make our way to the guest room, or Rosé's room, as we'll call it for the rest of the weekend. When I get there, I stand outside the off-white door and turn to her, unsure of whether I should be showing her around or just dropping her off at the door.

"So this is you," I say, gesturing to the door with a turn of the head.

Rosé takes in a deep breath and we both stand there, hesitating for a few moments; even though neither of us really know why. The hallway light isn't on and it's only illuminated by the bathroom door being open and the light shining through, but I can still see her eyes and the happiness behind them like it's daylight.

"Thanks," she finally breathes, breaking the silence. "And Lisa I... I really like your family. They're pretty great," she adds through a chuckled exhale, twisting her torso from side to side a little. "I can see where you get it from now."

I let out a short laugh and scratch my eyebrow to hide the bashful smile on my face. "Yeah, well thanks, but, um," I look up, meet her eye. "I'm one hundred percent sure they love you and that you're not going to get out of this house ever again."

She giggles and I join in for a moment, but then it dies down and we're just left staring at each other, clearly not wanting to part but knowing I probably should. It is late after all.

"So, I'm gonna go off to my room," I thumb over my shoulder, not really to anywhere in particular. "Night, Rosie."

Nothing inside of me wants to leave, but I turn away, taking two steps before long fingers wrap around my wrist and I sigh at the touch, relief flooding through me because I knew she didn't want me to leave just yet either. Still though, I act like I don't know why she's pulling me back and peer back over my shoulder, eyebrows lifted by my hairline.

"Yeah?"

"Wi-" she starts, but quickly shuts it off, closing her eyes, twisting her face up and shaking her head. "Where's your room?" She asks, finally opening her eyes again.

My lips begin curving up at the side, eyes impulsively boring into hers. "The one opposite the bathroom," I reply without hesitation.

Rosé nods and sucks in her lips, her hand never dropping minw. She doesn't say a word after that, just offers a small nod and I know it's because if she says something then she'll come out with something more and I'm not sure if I'm happy or not about that. On one hand, I want to just grab her by the shoulders and shake it out of her, because I don't know how I feel and I don't know how she feels either and even a single word would bring some clarity to the situation; but on the other hand, I know that this is simple and easy, sleeping with her and not even thinking about feelings, and so I kind of don't want her to.