Chapter 19

Jisoo bombards me with questions the second I get into work.

I roll my eyes and walk past her to the back room, hanging up my coat and taking my apron off the hook before I head back out and begin making the few coffees already waiting for me by the machine. Luckily, there's a few more customers so I get to dodge the questions, giving me a little time to come up with some made up answers and gives me time to calm myself so I don't go into panic mode when she serves the last customer and fires more questions at me.

And it works, because after I make a venti skinny mocha with a shot of hazelnut and hand it over to the pretentious asshole who's talking on the phone about a piece of art he saw last night at a gallery showing, suddenly wishing I'd spat in his coffee as he just snarls at me and walks away without a thank you or a smile, I let out a long sigh and turn to my brunette best friend, starting a rapid fire exchange. She asks me about my family, my mom and cousins in particular, and then jokes about how hot Theo would find Rosé, and I just nod, trying not to seem to knowing about that topic.

The questions soon die out, and I do get a little suspicious toward the end because her voice suddenly gets a lot softer and she leans back against the counter, wiping over the whipped cream can in hand as she asks, "So it was a good weekend then?"

And it's not like Jisoo's not kind or anything because I know she'd ask me questions, but the way she's asking me is making something spike beneath my skin and blood rush to my face because I feel like I've been caught; even though there's no way she could know.

Though before I can even answer, the bell above the door chimes and I peer over the coffee machine to find bright brown eyes gleaming back on me as Rosé skips in, her ponytail swinging as she bounces through the store, not even bothering to wink at the guy she normally does. For a strange reason it makes me feel a little better─usually my stomach drops when she acknowledges that guy─so I just grin triumphantly and it's only when she's greeting Jisoo then throwing me a wink, out of Jisoo's sight of course, that I realize I still haven't answered my friend.

So I clear my throat, bringing my fist up to my mouth and knit my eyebrows together as my eyes flicker from left to right. "Yeah, it was pretty good," I finally reply, meeting hazel eyes again.

Jisoo studies me, her eyes narrowing further and further until she finally says, "Pretty good? Is that it?"

It's at that moment Rosé bounces in from the back room, her black polo tight around her torso, her grin bright and eyes sparkling as they meet mine, and I find myself not even bothering to use my filter, or even look back to Jisoo as I correct myself with, "Actually, it was incredible."

Rosé pauses from where she's stacking some paper cups and her eyes slide to mine, meeting them and filling my chest with warmth and happiness. I bite down on my lip, unable to hide my smile as my mind reels with memories of this weekend, of kissing her on the beach at sunset to falling asleep with her in my arms and her meeting my family and them falling in love with her to making love (because yeah, that's definitely what it was) to her in the dead of the night.

It was just amazing. All of it. And I have this tugging in the center of my chest that tells my, I want to go back and relive it again.

"Great," Jisoo finally speaks up and my face gets hot when I snap my gaze back to her, realizing Rosé and I were just staring at each other blatantly, but Jisoo seems none the wiser as she gets back to the counter and serves the next customer.

So I breathe out a sigh of relief, and for the rest of my shift, Rosé and I exchange bashful glances because I really can't think of anything that's wrong with my life.

***

A few days later, I get a text from Rosé asking me to come over, and seeing as I'm lounging around with papers spread around me, ones that I'm supposed to be reading but ones I just can't be bothered to read, I think why not and head on over.