31: A Pink Tint

I laughed, my eyes tearing up as my hand darted to cover my mouth. It was all I could do to keep myself from spitting out the shake everywhere.

“I’m so sorry!” Cristy chimed, utterly mortified as she started to dab at the large orange spot on Lucas’ lap. “I’m never this klutzy!” she insisted, her brown eyes wide in surprise.

“It’s fine,” he insisted. Though his tone was accepting the disgusted look on his face as he drew his orange smoothie covered hands away from his lap gave it all away.

“Let me get it,” she persisted, reaching once more to dab at his crotch with an already soaking napkin.

Coach shook his head, trying to bat away her hands as gracefully as he could. That, unfortunately, wasn’t saying much. When once has a lapful of freezing slushy mess and a girl desperately apologizing, thus catching the attention of the entire teamfull of now giggling teenage girls, it’s hard to be reserved about it. “No really-“

“I didn’t mean it!” she cried, nearly in tears. Once more her hands darted towards his lap.

Lucas resisted, opening his mouth to object when Cristy gave an unexpected lurch, unwilling to take no for an answer. Unfortunately it ended in her losing her balance, tipping forward as her hands connected with Coach Matther’s crotch with more than a little too much force. As if in slow motion his eyes went wide, his jaw tensing as she pressed against his precious, freezing cold, slushy drenched family jewels. 

“Cristy!” I half laughed, half gasped, setting my hand on Dylan’s knee as I jumped to my feet. “Stop it!”

Her eyes turned to mine in surprise and confusion before quickly darting down to where her hands were currently pressing. “I-“ she muttered, her eyes turning up to Coach Lucas’ most obviously pained expression. “I- I-“

“Come on,” I found myself urging her, setting my hands on her shoulders as I pulled her back from Lucas as gently as I could. As much as I enjoyed the momentary embarrassment on her part when she’d tripped over her own feet, since she was mindlessly staring at Dylan as though she wished she could eat him may I add, I couldn’t allow the poor girl to worsen the situation any further.

Her brown hair shifted across her shoulders as she nearly stumbled, still mortified at her mistake, and my hands on her shoulders quickly stabilized her. “I-“ she tried apologizing again, looking over at me now as though confused why I was at her side, “I didn’t mean to!”

I nodded feeling sympathetic for her, her brown eyes almost welling with tears. “Let’s wash your hands,” I offered, tempted to turn and scowl at Mary. For supposedly being her best friend she had the smuggest look out of all of our teammates. And that was saying something, for all of the girls looked as though they’d just witnessed the coming of Christ; mouths opened in a stunned silence, eyes focused on Lucas as though her were about to break into song and dance, and hands clenching onto the nearest napkins for the hope they’d be the one able to come to his aid.

As if noticing for the first time her hands were covered in her beverage she looked down at the dripping mess. I could only guess that the cold and sticky nature of it wasn’t exactly comfortable. I took her stunned silence as a good sign and started to pull her towards the bathroom doors. With one look over my shoulder I immediately met Dylan’s blue eyes and he nodded as though to say he already knew what I was doing.