32: Unconventional Methods

The look on Logan’s face was priceless as I pulled open the door with my hair dripping wet and a pair of sweats on. For a long moment he looked at me as though I’d just crawled out of a pond and not answered the door.

“Hey,” I greeted him nonchalantly, my hands working through my hair that was not only wet but sticky as well.

He blinked twice, his long black lashes covering his eyes for a second or two. “What happened to you?”

“I got a smoothie in my hair,” I responded quickly. After a second of fussing I gave up on my hair, lowering my hands from my head and instead wiped them on the front of my shirt. “But listen, I can’t go tonight.”

“What?”

I nodded, turning back to the hallway, my hand on the doorknob. “I would have called if I had your number, and Maver didn’t answer his phone so I had no way to tell you.”

“You’re not coming?” Logan repeated, his voice flat. It didn’t even come out sounding like a question really. More like a clarifying statement.

“Yeah, sorry for making you drive out here.”  With that said I started to pull close the door. I didn’t want to stand around and cry over spilt milk, so to speak. What had been done was done and I couldn’t very well change that.

I hadn’t expected Logan to actually care however. His hand stopped the front door from closing and instead pulled it back open once more. “Why aren’t you coming?” he demanded to know, stepping in without being invited. Typical Logan; as rude as always.

I decided now wasn’t the time to point that out as I met his dark eyes. “I just can’t.”

“I thought you wanted to see my job?” he asked, stepping closer as he raked his hand through his long black hair and peered at me.

“I do,” I admitted honestly. “But I just can’t right now.”

“Why not?” he asked again, stepping closer yet, causing me to take a step back due to nervousness. I hadn’t expected him to find it such a big deal that I couldn’t go. After all, he was only taking me due to an agreement we’d made. An agreement I was surprised he was even honoring.

“I just-“

“Don’t give me that ‘I just can’t’ bullshit,” he snapped at me in his typical frustrated tone. “There has to be a reason,” he pressed, his eyes boring into mine. Instantly I looked away, cracking under the pressure. Just admitting to the fact I’d let the girls walk all over me again was so embarrassing. Dylan saw it and there was no way I’d let Logan know about it. He’d tease me for ages. Worse yet he’d tell me about what I should have done; what I wished I had done.

I should have put them in their places. I should have stood up for myself. I should had done what Coach said and stop being such an easy forgiving target. Instead I’d been a little baby and gave up. I’d ran out with my tail between my legs and cried.

“Have I done something wrong again?” he asked, his tone sarcastic.

I turned to look at him, ready to tell him that yes, it had been all his fault. But when I saw his eyes I was surprised to find that they seemed genuinely worried. My petty instinct to upset him quickly left and I shook my head. “No,” I answered, feeling slightly on the spot. “It wasn’t anything to do with you.”

“Can I at least know why?” he asked, his voice giving a little bit of relief to it. “I’m just curious.”

I sighed, running my hands through my wet hair again. “If you must know it’s because I have to get this mess out of my hair and it’s going to take me a bit of time,” I admitted, feeling like a total girl. “I don’t want to make you late for work.”