11: Her Outlet

I panted, setting my hands on my knees and leaning forward to catch my breath.

“Good Kara! You guys need to hustle, Kara’s beat you every run through so far.” The coach chimed out as he rested his hand on my shoulder. The rest of the girls were still a few feet from the line and as the crossed it they collapsed onto the ground panting as hard as I currently was.

Basketball was my outlet. I could go hard and work my body to the point of breaking, getting out all the anger and stress from the days before. It’s hard to be mad when you can barely breathe.  “Again!” Coach Matthers yelled and we all took off. Again I was leading. My left hand dribbled the ball to my side as I bolted fast towards the other side of the gym.

I jumped to a stop and pivoted waiting for the rest of the girls to catch up. A few seconds later he blew the whistle and we bolted towards his end of the gym. Once again I reached the other side first panting hard. We’d been doing this all damn day.

“Okay that’s it. Go get cleaned up.” Coach Matthers said with a sigh as the girls all cheered happily. I didn’t though, I was ready to run some more. I needed to get more anger out.

“Practice tomorrow has been moved to six thirty am.” The head coach informed us and we groaned in unison. Okay I didn’t need to get out my anger that badly.

We tossed the balls into the metal cart and I picked of the few that missed as the other girls ran to go change. “Kara can I have a minute?” I looked up to see Coach Matther’s young face as he stood leaning against the painted white brick wall of the gym.

“Sure thing coach.” I muttered as I closed the lid to the basketball bin and locked it for him.

I wiped my brow with the armband on my wrist and made eye contact with him. “What is it?” I asked curious.

He smiled. “Don’t worry, you aren’t in trouble.”

“Good.” I chuckled.

“Lucas can you lock up? I have to get home.” The head coach asked and Coach Matthers nodded. “Good practice today Kara.” He added with a smile to me, his aged brow wrinkling up.

The head coach, I had no idea what his name was first or last, was mainly there to keep track of things. Coach Matthers ran the practices. He was also about 30 years younger than the head coach, but only eight years older than us. I would be dramatic and say that every girl on our team had a crush on Coach Matthers, but they all didn’t. He wasn’t some of their types. But I can honestly say all of the girls found him attractive.

“I noticed the other girls have been giving you the cold shoulder this year.” He said after the head coach walked out.

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“Would you like me to talk to them about this?”

I shook my head. “No please don’t. It would make it worse.”

He nodded and we both looked over as the girls started to file out of the locker room all headed for home. Nervously I shifted as I felt their eyes land on me and dart to coach then back. “Hey coach.” Mary said cheerfully as she jogged up to us and gave him a huge smile.

“Hello Mary. Good job at practice today, I noticed you improved your freethrows. Remember though, elbow in.”

“Maybe you could show me sometime?” she asked batting her perfectly curved lashes.

“I’m going to go change.” I muttered starting to walk off.

Mary stopped me with a hand on my arm. “Oh Kara, Lisa said she can’t bring you home anymore.” Though her tone was apologetic the smirk on her face gave it all away.

It was probably for the best. The car rides had gotten more hostile then they were convenient.  “Kay.” I acknowledged her and left again for the locker room, leaving her to flirt with Coach Matthers.