33: Exotic Jobs

I chanced a glance over at Logan before quickly looking back out the window. How could he look so casual after what he’d just done?

“Kara?” he asked for the third time. I could feel his eyes land on me, yet I wouldn’t give him another look. Not while he was looking anyways. Did he really expect me to talk to him after what he’d done? You don’t just get a girl naked against her will, embarrass her out of her mind and then act like nothing happened. Just thinking about it made my cheeks start to heat up again. “God damnit Kara I’ll pull over if-“

“What?” I asked, looking over into his eyes. His annoyed tone of voice gave me the creeping feeling he really would pull over the car if I didn’t answer him. “What is it?”

He snorted in amusement, his blue eyes going back to the road as he drove his crappy car onwards. “You’re such a girl sometimes.”

“That would be because I am one,” I shot back, annoyed that he’d made me talk just to pick on me once more.

“Believe me,” he hummed, his eyes flashing to mine with a mischievous glint, “I’m well aware of that.”

Our eyes held, my cheeks growing redder as he refused to break eye contact with me. I knew he was just trying to get on my nerves; he was Logan after all. “Maybe you should pull over,” I responded, trying not to grit my teeth too hard in the process of trying to fight off the blush, “I’m sure I can find my way home from here.”

Logan decided to ignore my comment and instead looked back towards the road with a small shake of his head. “We’re almost here,” he announced, slowing the car and taking a turn. “There’re a few rules I’m going to need you to follow.”

For a few moments I remained silent. Part of me wanted to tell him I wasn’t interested in his work anymore. That would have been a lie. I was dying to know what he did for a living. What job could Logan possibly be suited for that could pay him so well? And better yet, what sort of job allowed him to be late to work without having to worry about calling in?

Finally I let out a slow breath, looking once more out of the dirty window. The sound of Logan moving beside me as he lowered his window informed me of the fact he was about to light up a cigarette. “What type of rules?” I asked hesitantly.

Sure enough the sound of his lighter flicking on filled the silent air before his words. He took a long drag and the familiar scent of his smoke filled the car. It lingered in the cab before billowing out of his opened window. I looked to him, meeting his eyes as he took another long suck of the cigarette, his eyes slightly hazed in thought.

He blew out the smoke, looking to me. “Well for starters you have to stay by me at all times. I can’t have you running off on me.”

“That’s a given,” I agreed, with a little nod.

“It’s going to be really busy, especially because I’m late,” he stated, and I looked away embarrassed. He was late and it was entirely my fault. Why he hadn’t blamed me yet I wasn’t sure.

“Sorry about that I-“

“So if someone fucks with you,” he cut me off, ignoring my apology, “I expect you to tell me.”