25: A Player of Games

I leaned back against the passenger seat, closing my eyes as I tilted my head back and hummed to myself as I waited. I wasn’t exactly sure why Logan had dragged me off insisting that we had to leave and then decided to make me wait in his car for him. It’d been a good ten minutes now. What on earth could he have been doing? And, if it was important enough he had to do it before leaving, couldn’t he have just waited to pull me away from Dylan a bit longer then? It had actually started to become an interesting night.

It was then, as I opened my eyes to look at the time, that I realized my mistake. I hadn’t asked Dylan for his number. I hadn’t given him mine. I hadn’t even thought about it. “Idiot,” I grumbled to myself as I leaned forward to peer out the windshield to see if I could spot Logan yet. Still no Logan.

My fingers drummed on the top of my cellphone that I still clutched in my hand. More time passed and still no Logan. “This is stupid,” I finally hissed as I realized that it’d been a good seven minutes since I’d last looked at my phone. I scanned the dark dirty streets again before pulling open the door and climbing out onto the streets.

If Logan wasn’t going to take me home now then I’d just ask Dylan for a ride. He’d said he had a car. And, after this stupid Logan pulling me out of the party for no reason thing, I didn’t feel like staying at the party any longer. I mean really! The nerve of him! Yanking me free from a perfectly heartwarming moment to make me sit in his piece of shit car while he was off doing whatever it was he felt more important was about as assholeish as one can get. Then again, this is Logan we’re talking about. The guy who likes to piss me off as much as he likes to sexually harass me. Though I had a feeling those were going hand in hand.

I stomped down the streets as I suddenly realized that Logan had just been trying to get me out of the party. Had he thought I was embarrassing him with Dylan? The two obviously knew each other. Could Logan have just pulled me off to put me on a time out? If he had then he would be getting an even colder shoulder from me than he had been getting.

I worked my way back into the house and spotted Dylan instantly. He was hard not to spot with that soft smile of his and jet black hair that made his attractive form all the easier to spot out. But I didn’t approach him. I was stuck watching the two girls who were flirting with him. Flirting was an understatement actually; they were trying to have sex with him with just their eyes.

My gut twisted a little as I watched the two of them standing in front of Dylan who was leaning against the wall drinking from the whiskey that he’d had in his hand for most of the night. I’d know, I’d only refilled it four times while he was flirting with me. That was what he’d been doing right? Flirting?

Instead of approaching and making a scene I just watched from a distance as his lips moved, obviously talking to them. If he really had the audacity to move on to the next batch of girls right after I’d left then maybe it was best Logan had pulled me out. Maybe he’d been trying to protect me? Like that day when he’d put down Cristy at the store and stuck up for me.

Stuck between a grimace that I’d almost been played so easily, and a small smile that Logan had cared enough not to let it happen, I watched one of the girls scoot closer to Dylan. She set her hand on his chest, leaning in to say something. Obviously something seductive from the way she’d managed to get her body as close to his as possible without actually pouncing on him.