12: Sure Thing Coach

The mirror reflected my frown as I tucked some of my red hair back behind my right ear. The walk home was going to be cold and I hadn’t thought to bring a sweatshirt.  I turned and neatly set my things into my locker and locked it.

The building was quiet as I exited the locker room and walked into the gym. Each step I took seemed to echo in the dark gym. Everyone had gone home and only the stairs light was still on. Coach Matthers must have left it on so I could see.

“It isn’t right for the girls to punish you for your parents actions.” Coach Matther’s soft voice came softly from beside me as I reached the top of the stairs. I had been zoning so badly I hadn’t seen him waiting at the top near the doors.

I shrugged. “It’s okay. I can’t blame them.”

“Teenage girls can be so cruel.” He said making a tsk tsk sound with his tongue. “Let me give you a ride home. I’m not going to let you walk at this time of night. Can’t have the best player getting jumped on the streets.”

I laughed. “Pricilla is the best player on the team Coach Matthers.”

“She’s the most naturally talented player, that is true. But you work for your success. Therefor you would be the best player. “

I shrugged at his comment and flipped off the steps lights. “I can walk home coach.”

“You can, but you won’t. This is an order.” He said with a playful smile and I chuckled. “Come on, it’s cold out.”

“Fine. Only because it was an order Coach.” I followed a few steps behind him as we approached his bright yellow hummer.

I climbed up into the passenger seat and closed the door. As he started  the car the cd he had been listening to started and I broke out laughing as FreaXXX by Brokencyde came on high volume.  He fumbled with the keys as the volume blasted our eardrums and he reached forward and turned down the music.

“Didn’t picture you as a Brokencyde fan.” I chuckled as he quickly changed it to the local radio station.

“You know them?”

I nodded. “Yeah of course I do.”

“Where do you live?”

“On the corner of Sumnit and 12th.” I replied as I looked out the window at the city streets as we passed by.

He nodded and took a turn. “Who are you living with?”

“My aunt took me in.”

“Will you be needing a ride to practice?” Coach Matthers asked taking another turn.

I shook my head. “I always walk.”

We argued this topic for a while before I noticed we were near my block. “Kara if you ever need anything feel free to ask me.”

“Sure thing coach.”

“Call me Lucas outside of practice. Calling me coach makes me feel old.” He said with a small chuckle as he pulled to a stop in front of my house.

I smiled at him. “I’ll try but I’m so used to calling you coach.”

With a small click I opened the door and climbed out onto the sidewalk. “Oh and Kara?”

I looked up at him. “Yeah?”

“I’ll be here to pick up tomorrow at six.”

“Sure thing coach.” I teased before turning to go into my home.