40: She Started It

I made it as far as the hallway before a hand on my arm tugged me to a stop. "Don't you dare go back into hiding," Logan demanded forcefully, his tone low and flat. His hand swiftly land on my opposite shoulder and turned me to face him.

My initial response was to yell at him. First he humiliates me and now he's ordering me around? My fist clenched tighter all on its own, hanging tensely at my side. A small steady thudding of pain raced through my knuckles as I tightened it further. I'd really given it my all when I'd socked Lucas. Still, I had plenty more where that came from if Logan didn't sprout a brain and realize he needed to leave me alone and quick.

Before I could decide what venom laced phrase to throw his way my eyes met his. As they always did, they instantly had my full attention. I couldn't help it when he was giving me such a look.

Though his handsome face looked strict, his jaw tensed, his eyes told a different story. The blue had taken on a warm sheen, no longer the usually icey blue. Dare I so much as think it, but, they were laced with concern.

"At least let me join you," he said, his voice breaking the clicking of the gears of my mind as they tried to work out what was going on. Did he actually care, or was he just putting on an act to get on my good side after embarrassing me in such a monumental fashion? "You shouldn't be alone with how upset you are."

It dawned on me that he must have either heard, or worse – seen, the incident a moment ago. A wave of disgust ran through me. How could I have been so pitiful? Why did I have to go and kiss coach, a guy obviously out of my league, in such a public place? Worse yet, I'd gone and put on quite the show by acting so pathetically. Anyone who hadn't seen the initial rejection sure as hell had heard about it by now. And it was all thanks to me.

"I'm fine," I growled, tearing my arm out of his loose grip.

Logan shook his head, his black hair swaying over his eyes. "I know girls well enough to know that line is always a lie," he responded. I scoffed, turning to walk away. Once more his hand pulled me to a stop. "And-" he started, forcing me to look at him once more, "I know you. You wouldn't kiss someone without meaning it," his words came a little softer.

My breath caught in my throat as his soft eyes scanned my face. They were mixed with a lace of disappointment and concern. I couldn't help but look away feeling ever the more pitiful. A few seconds passed and I looked back to him, unable to avoid his eyes scanning my face. Our eyes met and he gave a little smile. "You are a priss like that after all."

"You think name calling will get me to agree to your company?" I asked, a little smile threatening to come to my lips/ Something about the was his eyes sparkled made me not want to just charge away again.

"At least I held back the fact that you're also a judgmental little brat," he responded with a casual shrug.

I rolled my eyes at him, moving out from under his grip. "Better that than an empty headed drug addict."