38: Invitations to Trouble

“Go away Logan!” I yelled, feeling sorry for myself, as I ignored the pounding on the locked door. I wouldn’t let him in no matter what he said. He could confess his undying love and I still wouldn’t budge. Not after what he’d just done. Logan upsetting me was one thing, but Logan embarrassing me in front of a roomful of people was another. He’d gone too far.

The knocking ceased and was replaced by a voice. “It’s not Logan.”

I hesitated for a second before reaching up and unlocking the door. “You better be alone,” I responded in a huff, scooting away from the door.

He came in and closed the door behind him to signal he was indeed alone. “So-“ Preston said, looking down with a soft smile at the spot I sat on the floor, “you plan on staying in here all night then?”

“I can’t very well leave until everyone else is gone,” I responded, looking pointedly away from the hand he was offering down towards me. Even smiling Preston couldn’t get me to budge.

Still, he left his hand extended down towards me. “Do you want to go see my daughter tomorrow? She’ll be coming by my apartment for a few hours.”

The way his brown eyes locked on mine, a slight puppydog look to his face, made my frown waver. Finally it broke into a little smile and I gave an exasperated sigh.  “All right,” I agreed, unable to stop from smiling when he gave a pleased cheer. “But I’m not going anywhere now.”

For a moment longer he let his hand lingering front of me before finally drawing it back to his side. “All right, I guess I can accept that.” He pushed his dirty blonde hair from his eyes as he glanced around. “Well then,” he grunted, hoisting himself onto the floor beside me with a cute smile, “how did your thing with Dylan go?”

Just great, he knows too? Just what did Logan tell him? All I’d told Logan was that he’d stopped in the juice bar with me after the game. It was true. It wasn’t like we’d done anything exciting. But knowing that Logan had been Preston’s source of information caused me to worry. “Why,” I asked, my voice giving away the concern in my voice, “what did you hear?”

He shrugged innocently. “Nothing,” he answered, shooting me a sidelong glance as I tried to avoid his eyes. “Dylan just told me about the date you two had planned is all.”

“Dylan? Date?” I asked, my heart skipping a beat as I looked to him in surprise. “Dylan told you we went on a date?” If that had been a date than I should be even more mortified than I initially had been.

Preston chuckled at my surprised tone of voice. “No, but he said you would be soon,” he answered, calming me instantly. “I was talking about your basketball game the other night.”

“He told you about that?” I asked, unsure whether I should be embarrassed or not. Had he told him about the smoothie that’d been dumped on my head?

His dirty blonde hair shifted across his forehead as he nodded. “That night at the party,” he informed me casually, “after you left. He seemed pretty excited about it.”