22: So Much For Alone

I groaned as I laid across Maver’s bed. “That hurt” I huffed at him, clenching my gut where he’d hit me.

Maver shrugged but gave me an apologetic smile. “Sorry Kara I didn’t know you’d gotten so soft.”

I rolled my eyes and gave out a loud ‘oof’ as he laid across me, his head on his pillow and his stomach across mine. We laid like this for a few minutes, me staring at the ceiling and him at his pillow. “So Logan’s really gone for the weekend?” I asked trying to hide my relief.

I could feel as he nodded and rolled onto his back, now laying over my thighs instead. “Yup.”

Yup. He was gone. If only it could always be that simple I thought. If only Maver had his own place. I wouldn’t have to feel as though my gut were constantly in a knot. “Groovy.”

“I’ll pretend you didn’t just use that word.”

A mischievous smile crossed my face. “Psychedelic.”

“Really Kara? Really?”

“Far out man.”

Maver sat up and looked down at me as if daring another cheesy word to flow from my lips. I smiled innocently up at him, my red hair falling in a mass of curls around my head. I hadn’t bothered to control them today. We stared into each other’s eyes daring the other to say something first. Finally he gave up and laid back across my thighs.

I took a breath then continued in an obnoxious voice. “I mean that’s so radical dude it’s like far out!” He sat up quickly and the second he did I jumped to my feet and bolted across the room. “It’s totally funktastic!” I made up a term as I pulled open the door well aware of him grabbing for me.

“Kara I swear to god!” He threatened chasing me down the hall as I held in a fit of laughter.

“So gnarly man, can you dig it?” I continued on, dancing around the recliner as he just narrowly missed grabbing onto my arm. “Completely stellar!”

He reached out and snatched the back of my shirt in his evil clutches. “I’ve got you now!” He cackled evilly as he gave a yank, pulling me towards him.

“Fight the man!” I countered like an idiot and bent forward, my shirt coming off over my head before I darted away again. “Power for the people!” I jumped onto the couch and he lunged for me, missing narrowly as I lept over coffee table and landed on the recliner forcefully. It sprung backwards and I toppled over it’s back landing in a head on the dirty carpet floor.

Maver was on me in a second, pinning me down with my shirt clenched in his teeth from earlier as one hand pinned me down and the other tickled me mercilessly. “Bomb….diggity!” I managed to get out in between my mad laughter as I squirmed. “Cool beans!” His fingers snaked under me, landing on the small of my back. My soft spot that bastard.

I couldn’t hold back anymore and laughter roared from my lips as I squirmed forcefully. “I giveeee!” I yelled. “You win you win!” His eyes showed no mercy as he gloated in his victory, his fingers working harder to force the laughter from me.