36: Unlikely Mentors

I groaned and lay back into Logan’s bed. It was just stupid of me to even think twice about his little ‘assignment.’ He had just said it to make me feel uncomfortable. I was sure of it. Not to mention he was deflecting my original question. Why did he do drugs?

Sure, he’d said they felt good. But there had to be more to it. Right? I mean, that couldn’t be the only reason. Something traumatic must have happened to him to make him turn to such drastic means of escaping reality. But what could it be?

The door swung open with a loud whoosh from the force behind it. It slammed against the wall, no doubt leaving a mark where the doorknob was, and rebounded back towards the frame. Before it could make any more noise Logan stuck his hand out forcing it to a stop. A second later his frame filled the doorway as he peered towards me. His blue eyes landed on me, taking in my laying frame.

For a few moments I watched him take me in. His eyes flickered over all of me before finally turning to my face. “Hey,” he started, brushing his wet hair from his eyes as he strode into the room, “I gave you an assignment.” He stopped, eyes narrowed on me as he crooked his head. “Why aren’t you doing it?”

I rolled my eyes as I sat back up on the bed. “I’d never accept you as a mentor,” I scoffed.

He shook his head, heaving an overdramatic sigh. “This is exactly why you’ve ended up how you have,” he responded. With a little smirk he stepped closer towards the bed. “So misguided,” his voice came out soft and almost whistful as he closed the gap between us. My breath stuck in my lungs as he stepped up and bent towards me, his arm outstretched as he reached towards me. “So inexpierenced,” he added in a gentle whisper.

I hesitated, my eyes locked in his, as I tried to process what he was saying. I was so caught up in the proximity of our bodies and his fingers brushing my cheek. It was then that I realized it; he was mocking me. “Oh bite me,” I muttered, reaching up to push his hand away. 

“Gladly,” he shot back, leaning forward so quickly I couldn’t help but flinch and inch backwards in surprise.

This caused his smirk to grow and my grimace to as well. “You’re obnoxious,” I muttered looking away.

“That may be so,” he responded, obviously amused by my response as he leaned in closer, setting his hands on the edge of the bed as I scooted away from him until my back pressed against the headboard, “but you love me for it.”

“Love is an extremely strong word,” I responded, rolling my eyes as my heartbeat picked up. “Heck, even like would be-“

“You look cute,” he interrupted, lifting his knee up on the bed as he shifted closer yet.

This time my stomach did a little flip as I blinked in surprise. “You’re impossible, you know that?” I asked, trying to move the conversation elsewhere. Attention being on me wasn’t so bad in itself. But throw in Logan being shirtless and currently crawling across the bed on his hands and knees toward me and even the most outgoing girl would cease up.

“I like you in my clothes. They do you justice,” he breathed, a coy smile playing his lips as he realized I’d frozen stiff. With my knees to my chest, my arms wrapped around them holding them as if they were about to jump off and run away, I’d cornered myself against the headboard and the wall.